Soundbar and SVS tube subwoofer interconnect.

I have a JBL 5.1 Soundbar with a wireless 10" sub which sound great, but after selling all my speakers and receiver I kept my SVS 20-39++ tube subwoofer which now sits in the corner of the living room, would it be possible to run my SVS off the soundbar, and how? :unsure:
mama-lg.jpg

You'd need a soundbar with a subwoofer preamp output, there aren't many out there. Vizio and Yamaha are the only two brands I know of that had them, but I think even they've phased them out.

Looks like a few Klipsch soundbars have sub outputs and the Yamaha yas-108/109 series do as well.

I didn't know about the Klipsch soundbars, they sure look nice. I'm surprised they include a wireless sub and the pre-out. Vizio only gave you the pre-out on models that didn't include the sub.

ZVOX offers a few with sub-out connections. I have one with a sub hooked up and it's very nice. Surround? No, but stout enough for a large living room.

I have a JBL 5.1 Soundbar with a wireless 10" sub which sound great, but after selling all my speakers and receiver I kept my SVS 20-39++ tube subwoofer which now sits in the corner of the living room, would it be possible to run my SVS off the soundbar, and how? :unsure:
mama-lg.jpg
We have the same system, (JBL 5.1) and yes, it sounds awesome!

mama-lg.jpg
We have the same system, (JBL 5.1) and yes, it sounds awesome!
OK I want to hear more on this JBL 5.1 that you guys are raving about. Getting a little older now I want nice crisp, voice, dialogue and of course, must at least sound acceptably musical when we stream music.

Will be moving into a new house soon, and I decided to not use my current system, which is on the bulky side, consisting of a Yamaha receiver, Yamuna sub, JBL studio center channel, two paradigm L/R front speakers, and two JBL, rear bookshelf speakers.

I was considering the Sony 5000 or 7000 but suspect we are about to pull the trigger on a Sonos arc. The mentioned three are not cheap and I’m concerned about making a poor decision because the existing system that I decided not to bring to the new house is very good to excellent on movie soundtracks granted dialogue was always a little iffy for me.

I want to repeat I want nice clear dialogue.
I would appreciate both of your comments!!

OK I want to hear more on this JBL 5.1 that you guys are raving about. Getting a little older now I want nice crisp, voice, dialogue and of course, must at least sound acceptably musical when we stream music.

Will be moving into a new house soon, and I decided to not use my current system, which is on the bulky side, consisting of a Yamaha receiver, Yamuna sub, JBL studio center channel, two paradigm L/R front speakers, and two JBL, rear bookshelf speakers.

I was considering the Sony 5000 or 7000 but suspect we are about to pull the trigger on a Sonos arc. The mentioned three are not cheap and I’m concerned about making a poor decision because the existing system that I decided not to bring to the new house is very good to excellent on movie soundtracks granted dialogue was always a little iffy for me.

I want to repeat I want nice clear dialogue.
I would appreciate both of your comments!!
Well it's pretty darn powerful. We have our subwoofer behind us near the wall and the sound bar itself right in front of the TV on our cabinet. A 58 inch 4K Vizio TV. The soundbar has 2 side firing speakers, 1 on each end that "shoots", if you will, sound out to the sides at an angle to give you the "Surround", effect. Nothing like rear speakers but, it has made me look around for different sounds I hear thinking it's coming from another room or whatever. Can't recall the exact wattage but of the bar but the subwoofer is 300 watts and we keep it turned midway. Any more is too much and things on the wall begin to rattle.
We are extremely pleased with the sound quality and, the dialogue as well. Clear music and great sound.
We are both music lovers and I have been putting in stereos in my own vehicles and homes since the 1970's and I can tell you, we are very glad we went with the JBL.

Triple3 said it all (y), this is a great sounding bar, mine is hooked up to a Sony 75" tv, clear dialogue and the 10" sub is the best of all the soundbar subs I've heard, don't miss selling all my JBL Studio speakers and receiver. ;)

Triple3 said it all (y), this is a great sounding bar, mine is hooked up to a Sony 75" tv, clear dialogue and the 10" sub is the best of all the soundbar subs I've heard, don't miss selling all my JBL Studio speakers and receiver. ;)
Yes, of course it has become a tiny bit more complicated now. JBL just updated their line and maybe reasonable to wonder if the quality of the older 5.1 matches the new, since of course with their new line up they push prices and models to higher price levels.
You can still find some stores with the "older" models just sold month ago though.

@Malo83
I saw your previous post from around 2020 too I think.
I just bought this sound bar JBL 5.1 Surround NOT the newer BAR 500. Wow, you were right.
Knowing it's an older model I figured nothing to lose, free ship from JBL, free ship back to JBL if I dont like it.
First as you know the way JBL names their sound bars is crazy, the model line up is all muddy.

The Soundbar 5.1 Surround that we received just yesterday is the model you have Im pretty sure, granted with updated firmware. JBL clearing them out and we paid $399. Says $200 off list, yeah, I know they have sales in-between. Im in shock how well this soundbar sounds. I NEVER expected anything like it, though I did see some very favorable reviews on it.
The subwoofer to me, in this price range is incredible for its well controlled robust bass. You can adjust the subwoofer output from the remote on a scale of 1 to 5. As far as the bar itself, we have a good room for reflecting sound off walls from such a device and wow!
Considering this is an older model, I'm, just at a loss for words.

We just moved into a new, smaller home on the coast now that the kids are all grown and on their own. So I ditched all my audio equipment to get back to a more simple and sane time in my life. WOW. Im still amazed and the price which to me, the sub itself it worth more than the $399 that I paid and I got the whole set up for that.
Assuming you have the same bar, I dont know if you know, with the firmware update it allows bass to be turned up further from a scale of 1 to 5.

With that said, I NEVER expected it to sound this good but I also have ordered and that is arriving today.
A Sony HT-A700 and more than double the price for an open box item. $829 plus tax. I knew (at the time) the Sony will and should blow the JBL away at more than double the price but I dont think it's going too.
The Sony being a 7.1 WILL have better surround effects but it has a so called built in sub, it doesnt have an external I dont see how it can ever match the JBL sub output...I know it wont.

I SUSPECT WE WILL HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION BETWEEN THE TWO. Sony without an external sub but a 7.1 system or JBL with kick a-- sub but a 5.1 System.
of the Sony and down the road pick up a Sony external sub.

Anyway, this is a compliment to JBLs older 5.1 bar posted above. Just amazing, now that JBL and Sony have pushed the prices of these things even higher, I dont know if the new JBL BAR 500 5.1 is as good or not since I dont have that model.
I do know this will be a tough decision once I compare the Sony. Good news is JBL gives you 30 days to try it out and being the Sony is an Amazon open box provided by Beach Camera I get 90 days to try that one.
These things, heavy as heck to ship, having FREE return shipping takes care of that.

I see @Triple3 in Mo. has the newer Bar 500 and is happy with that too. That is pretty cool I really consider these JBLs great values and better performing in a crowded field. ( I cant help wonder if the Bar 500 has anything more than the 5.1.
Atmos in the 500 but not 5.1??? hmmm

Last edited:
Back