2017 Passat Oil 13900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an analysis from 2017 passat, using a German oil, thought I would get some thoughts. Hopefully I can upload correctly

VW_Analysis.PNG

In my opinion, VW and Audi engines equipped with a timing chain are more reliable if you change the oil more often than stated in the owners manual.
I change mine every 5K miles in my attempt to never have timing chain and related component wear issues.

I would reiterate what has been suggested already. 13k miles is a very long oci. I would consider 5k or 7.5k instead.

You guys are all over the place.

Someone posts a UOA less then 10k and everyone says they are wasting oil.

Someone posts a UOA like this, with what looks like decent results, considering the mileage on a rather new engine and everyone says to cut back to 5-7k. LOL.
33.gif

It's a good report but the TBN being that low in my opinion... I would feel more comfortable with a 10K mile OCI (16,000km) for a buffer in case it goes lower on the next run for some reason. Thanks for posting.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Looks good, especially for the miles you put on the oil. I choose to go 5K between changes on our 2014 1.8TSI in an effort to keep the timing chain and other components in good shape.

Thanks Artem I agree with you sentiment. I have been a viewer of these forum since early 2003 maybe longer didn't register then. Nonetheless it was for this reason I did not post much in light comment that would possibly be all over the place. Yet I did ask for thoughts.

I am well aware of conservative oil drains yet I wanted to see how well this brand of oil would do. In my humble opinion it has done well. Prior to this oil change my intervals was 5k, then 10k thereafter.

Gsleve, in that case, I agree that the oil held up well. 15K is definitely do-able on it, if the driving conditions are the same as this run. That would bring the TBN down to 1.0 on Blackstone's scale and most would agree the oil is done.

I think 10K would definitely be a nice OCI, if you wanted to keep it in the extended range. That would leave you a pretty good safety buffer yet still please the "extend the OCI or you ain't a true Bobistheoilguy-er" crowd on here.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
RIP WARRANTY

Really, I don't think so. I have been down that road with Volkswagen 27 years ago sad say they lost I won, and they gave me a new motor free of charge

Last edited:
Agreed. The engine would need to have a LUBE RELATED failure, in order for it to be considered "your fault" but in that case, you can then point the finger at the oil manufacturer for making an inferior product. Haha.

Warranty is only good for FACTORY DEFECTS.

Artem I concur, my plan was to use this oil going forward and stick with 10k - 12k that would be it. I had not seen oci with this oil that it worthy of some consideration. This was a very special 504/507 extended or long life oil it is rated for 30kms or 18k drain intervals, this I would never consider.

As an aside the car never needed to add oil during the entire interval, this impressed me

Last edited:
Gsleve, Ravenol makes great oils. Its a true PAO synthetic. They don't test for tungsten on UOA's, but many Ravenol flavors have tungsten added to the moly for more friction reduction, not sure it's in this particular VMP soup. Based on your choice of a high quality oil, and if you don't take too many short trips where the oil never gets hot, it should be fine to go up to 15k miles.
Your iron wear rate looked very good, it should have been around 36 ppm for that amount of miles, and you only got 28 ppm, a win.

I don't know what anti-oxidants Ravenol uses. Their base stock oil is awesome though. I know Mobil lauds their Mobil1 Annual Protection's anti-oxidants keep the oil from ageing too much up to 20k miles (or 1 year). Without really knowing if those German chemists are using advanced anti-oxidants, its hard to say if its really possible to push past 15k miles here.
And remember, the iron wear might be fine, yet we don't know what black gunk gets on the pistons as it stays in there a long time, the real weak point (maybe that and varnish/sludge forming).

Oil_film_movies, thanks for the insights, Ravenol claims to use a proprietary additive called clean synto it maintains engine cleanliness far more than their competitors.

They also claim this VMP oil is utilized in the races among Audi it is the oil of choice. I guess we can take this with a grain of salt.

Your astute observation regarding the tungsten is very good this helps explain lubro moly new oil called molygen wherein tungsten is blended with moly

To some extent, its like a battle of company scientists. Who can create the strongest anti-oxidants, dispersants, and mix all in the right amounts, etc., to keep pistons from getting black on long oil runs?
CleanSynto at Ravenol may be good. No real proof. Like Mobil, they are proud of it.

ravenol.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back