2016 F150 3.5EB ~10K mikes Castrol 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
No towing anymore with this truck. My dad is driving it now in his old man style
smile.gif

16097L01987-E-I-087827-Sev2_111111.jpg

Consistent wear metals over several 10k mile OCIs (give or take a bit). Fe is is averaging right around 2ppm/1k miles; not bad at all. Other metals are appreciably low and of no concern.
Nothing wrong here at all.

Great example of how inputs (in this case, the fuel) do NOT, in an of themselves, become a cause for an OCI. Fuel was high in these, as is typical in EBs. But yet the wear is unaffected. Not unlike how TBN very often will be low, or TAN high, and yet wear is totally unaffected. Fuel, Vis, TBN/TAN, soot are all inputs that MIGHT affect wear if left unchecked for long periods. When you see an input at a cautionary level, it's NOT a reason to change oil. It's a reason to track things closer and watch for a shift in wear trends. This UOA is yet another perfect example of how an input is cautionary, but absolutely nothing bad happens. DO NOT CHANGE OILS BASED ON INPUTS; USE INPUTS TO INFORM YOU SO THAT YOU PAY MORE ATTENTION TO POTENTIAL WEAR SHIFTS.

Think of it with an analogy in another venue ...
Driving along, you approach an intersection with automated signal. It's green as you see it in the distance. As you near, it turns yellow. Yellow means "caution"; time to pay more attention to the conditions surrounding you. Yellow does NOT mean stop! Red means stop. Red is the output that should not be violated. But the input (yellow) is just a notice that things are going to change, but you don't commit to the action until the output tells you to. The yellow (caution) condition means pay closer attention to your speed, estimate your stopping distance, check the traffic load conditions at the intersection, etc. (To some folks, yellow might even mean gun it!). But you don't STOP on yellow! Caution means pay closer attention and watch for changing conditions.

I say this because I know many are going to chime in and say "Too Much Fuel; OMG look how badly this engine dilutes lubes; must OCI more often". To that I say you're clueless and don't understand how/why UOAs are used in the first place. UOAs are not toys, they are tools. They are tools that have pros and cons; benefits and limitations. They are tools that must be understood to be used correctly. If you don't know how to use the tool correctly, put it down and walk away and leave it to the professionals.

Engine is in fine shape; motor on BC knowing everything is ok!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by advocate
What grade of fuel does he run? Looks like she is in good hands! Love the proof that 10k runs are doable in these engines.

The truck gets regular unless it is towing, then it gets premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back