Value of 90's stereo equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my stereo from the mid 90's stored unused since '03

A 180 watt Kenwood receiver with what seems to be an early version of surround sound.
Two Yahama 140 watt bookend speakers roughly 16 tall 11.5 wide 11.5 deep
and a dual cassette deck.

Everything works, but one of the tapedecks plays double speed on one side of the tape and the counter wheel does not spin.

I was wanting to throw these items up on Craigslist but have no idea of a reasonable asking price.

I have the manual and remote control for the receiver.

Any input?

Let me start off by spelling craigslist with a lower case c because that is craigslist does on their own website except in one section.

craigslist is full of two faced people and that includes you, I and everyone under the sun. What you want to sell it for and what the person wants to pay is often
far from reality. That is why you can see jillions of items still posted that don't sell. The ad will expire and be pulled down and some people repost.
Electronics and computers are hard to get rid of.
You wont attract any buyers unless you price it cheap.

if you had a Marantz receiver and some Cerwin Vega speakers, you could ask top dollar and probably get it.
Your brand is not desirable.

And get an app if you want them to text or call you like a TextMe app or 2nd Line app.

Other than top of the line brands, such as Marantz, McIntosh, etc, twenty year old consumer electronics are giveaway items.

I have seen many at the "Goodwill" type thrift stores-very cheap. Yours are give-away items.

I have a similar Kenwood receiver with some higher-end Pioneer speakers...

They served they're duty in the house until I upgraded - -

...now I can crank some righteous tunes out in the shop!

You Might get $50 for everything to the right person.

...............or just keep it all and set it up out in the shop

Had about 30-ish 90s Technics 4-ft tall large 3-way speakers. Sold one set for $20 on CL after three weeks, decided it wasn't worth the effort. Gave the rest away to Goodwill this past summer. Gave away 4 Technics stereo receivers at the same time. If time and space isn't a factor for you, you might be able to sell them for a few bucks but they're not worth much if they're not high-end. If you can still use them, may as well use them.

The only valuable stereo receivers are the "monster" receivers,maybe up to the late 70s-early 80s.

Boat anchors. A good set of old high quality speakers i good condition might be worth something but receivers are not.

Originally Posted by CKN
I have seen many at the "Goodwill" type thrift stores-very cheap. Yours are give-away items.

^^^^ Yep ^^^^
Now if they were classic late 60's to maybe late 70's you would have something.

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
A 180 watt Kenwood receiver - Two Yahama 140 watt bookend speakers - Any input?

Got model numbers?

Thanks for the ideas
receiver:

Kenwood105vr

found it on Ebay for 30$

Speakers:
Yamaha NS-A636

found on Amazon for 60$

cassette deck
Yamaha KX-W282

found on Ebay for 60$

It's set up in the workshop now, I might not have the workshop in a few months
Sounds better than my 5w bluetooth speaker.

Guess I won't bother

They're probably worth what someone is willing to pay for them and don't have an intrinsic value much above any other similar 25 year old mass-fi electronics.

Not worth much nowadays. Everyone is on the go with phones and earbuds.

Last edited:
Just donate it when you are done with it. No one cares about old hifi stereo equipment that takes up tons of space.

You can modernize by adding a chrome cast audio or upcoming echo piece or simple Bluetooth adapter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Everyone is on the go with phones and earbuds.

I've never understood the earbud thing. Nothing beats listening to music through a good set of loudspeakers!!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I've never understood the earbud thing. Nothing beats listening to music through a good set of loudspeakers!!
Most people aren't looking for best sound these days. They're looking for portability. When you listen to highly compressed audio from streaming services, sound quality is much further down the list of priorities.

With that said, there are some pretty good in-ear monitors out there that you can crank up (with a decent headphone amp) without disturbing others, and they are much easier to take with you on a flight vs. "a good set of loudspeakers." and an amp needed to drive them.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back