The real culprit about 18k

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

This is the filter of my Mazda 1.5. (Taller one)
I had mixed up filters with one I took off my wife's Yaris and posted it as a problem filter. Turns out this is the actual one.

Still I like the streanght of the media and the excellent condition of the antidrain back valve.
Like the size of the element better.

Don't like the flimsy can
Don't like the separate bypass valve
Don't like the location of bypass valve in dome end because of the likley hood of it introducing contaminants back into the engine when opening and the possibility of it leaking by where it fits into the center tube instead of being manufactured in the element with the spring holding it tightly against the entrance.

The problem with Wix's thread-end bypass design is that it takes up too much space, resulting a very small media cartridge for the size. That was my biggest complaint about the Wix 57356. Of course there is teh XP version aka Napa Platinum,but a lot of people on here don't like them.

For the Yaris, you can use the longer XG4386
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The problem with Wix's thread-end bypass design is that it takes up too much space, resulting a very small media cartridge for the size. That was my biggest complaint about the Wix 57356. Of course there is teh XP version aka Napa Platinum,but a lot of people on here don't like them.

smile.gif

Is there a longer motorcraft or longer wix version?

What's the orientation of this filter?

And as mentioned before, there's a sealing gasket around the center tube where the bypass valve sits - not gonna make the 99% at 20u ISO efficiency test rating if it leaked. So tells me they don't leak.

The base end bypass valve on WIX filters just sits in the end cap with no seal, just metal-to-metal.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

And as mentioned before, there's a sealing gasket around the center tube where the bypass valve sits - not gonna make the 99% at 20u ISO efficiency test rating if it leaked. So tells me they don't leak.

The base end bypass valve on WIX filters just sits in the end cap with no seal, just metal-to-metal.

Yeah I don't like that about wix bit at least it's not down at the dome end. I like the motorcraft design best because it's not a separate piece like that

Originally Posted by Ablebody

smile.gif

Fram 4386 crosses to Wix 57145
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah I don't like that about wix bit at least it's not down at the dome end. I like the motorcraft design best because it's not a separate piece like that

Yeah, you don't have to worry about the Motorcraft bypass, the filter media will tear and render that point moot...

If you have no problem with the metal/gasket seal of the ADV, why do you have a problem with the metal gasket seal of the valve/spring?

Plus all bypass valves I have seen are a plastic/metal or metal/metal seal, no gasket at all.

smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Cool thanks

smile.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Cool thanks
Originally Posted by blupupher

Yeah, you don't have to worry about the Motorcraft bypass, the filter media will tear and render that point moot...

If you have no problem with the metal/gasket seal of the ADV, why do you have a problem with the metal gasket seal of the valve/spring?

Plus all bypass valves I have seen are a plastic/metal or metal/metal seal, no gasket at all.

A top end bypass dose t allow the oil to circle back around through the UN filtered side when it's in by pass. That's why I like it. The spring is pushing out from the inside. Could it leak by some? Sure I think so. But it's not as critical cooing from the top end into the center rather than from the dome end where the oil, in that scenario is swooping all the depris back up through the center

Slacktide, just a question: I too like as much media as possible, but do you have any evidence that the filters with thread-end bypass will not properly protect the engine to 20k miles? Not starting a swordfight, because again I like the Ultra, and I like the Platinum, and I am trying to be open in understanding. Or is it just your personal preference to avoid thread-end bypass filters? Can you find a longer version of the same filter to get the media you want while keeping the TEB?

I ask because I have a habit of trying to oversize filters, and there are a couple with TEB. Thx!

Filters that rate high in ISO efficiency can't do so if the have a leaky bypass valve. If there's any internal leakage in a filter rated at 99% at 20u it sure isn't even measurable. There could be some filters that have internal leakage causing a lower ISO efficiency test result than the media can actually do.

There really aren't that many filters with base end bypass valves. Even WIX and Motorcraft have some filter models that have a dome end bypass valve. A base end bypass valve is more important on filters mounted base up. I surely wouldn t want a base end bypass valve on my Toyota V6 that has the filter mountef verticle with base down.

If dome end bypass valves were that critical, you'd see way more brands using them.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Slacktide, just a question: I too like as much media as possible, but do you have any evidence that the filters with thread-end bypass will not properly protect the engine to 20k miles? Not starting a swordfight, because again I like the Ultra, and I like the Platinum, and I am trying to be open in understanding. Or is it just your personal preference to avoid thread-end bypass filters? Can you find a longer version of the same filter to get the media you want while keeping the TEB?

I ask because I have a habit of trying to oversize filters, and there are a couple with TEB. Thx!

I ram a regular WIx 57356 to 10k, and the media buckled, felt brittle, and couldn't handle the OCI! It tore as soon as I pressed down on the pleats. More media may have helped. Indeed, the Fram 7317 and M1-110 have a taller media cartridge.

Perhaps an XP would survive due to the wire-backed media (but it will be the same dinky size media as the non-XP)

Perhaps an XP would survive due to the wire-backed media (but it will be the same dinky size media as the non-XP)

The XP media is longer than the non-XP.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back