can i use 0w40 in car that calls for 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by chad8
I was gifted some liqua moly 0w40 synthoil energy recently.

Why isn't the former owner of this oil using it anymore?

This oil was gifted from a craigslist ad. I did not meet the former owner , but he was driving a new Jeep . Maybe he thought it would violate his warranty.
I received 7L of it.
The ad was in over a week. I am not sure why someone else did not jump all over it.
I was slightly worried that the oil was too thick and would cause some oil burning/mileage/wear/filming issues because of how thick it is.
I am of the opinion that most modern oils are great and as long as change intervals and fill levels are kept, engines will last 200000+ ,but I buy cars with known great engines.
I was temped to mix some 0w20 to thin it down , but that creates other potential issues.
What do you think?

*Hyundai USA not liberal enough to allow 0W40 , 5W40 , 0W20 or 0W30 in non - turbo ... Perhaps best to stay with 5W30.quote=blupupher]Hyundai is very liberal in their owners manual as to what oil weight can be used.

I plan on using some Rotella T6 5w-40 in my sisters 2010 Santa Fe, which has had 0w-20, 5w-20, and 5w-30 used in it's 160,000 miles of service.
It is using about 1 qt of oil every 7500 miles, so I will see if the thicker oil helps any at all with that (not that 1 qt/7500 miles is bad).

I also may be using some T6 in my mom's Saturn Vue that is spec's for 5w-30 when I run out of my xw-30 oils. [/quote]

Just use it as is. If I owned that car it would've been using 15w40 right from the start, doing 15,000km OCI's, with no problems whatsoever!

It'll be fine. Outside the USA, oils of 40 grade at op temp are very common
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Drosselmier
I have a 2006 Buick Allure/Lacrosse with 3.8l v6. GM frowns on any viscosity other than 5w30.
No 10w40 or 20w50. If - 20* or colder, they recommend 5w30 Synthetic. I have been considering 5w40 also.

Funny this^ GM doesn't frown on anything above 5w30 because it may negatively effect the engine. Their CAFE credits are in jeopardy if they approve higher HTHS oils like they do in other countries. Every gasoline engine incl this one in Germany is dexos 2 spec (not dexos 1 gen 2).
How about if you run Redline 5w30? HTHS 3.5, that's right in there with Euro stuff.

^^ My 2000 Century ran on Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 for three+ years in San Diego. GM and the CAFE people might have frowned upon it, but the car ran great.
wink.gif

I have a 2017 Subaru Forrester 2.5i, which specs 0w-20 or 5w-20. It consistently burned 2 quarts per 5k OCI. To try and reduce oil consumption I switched to Mobil1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel Truck because of its great additive package. That oil reduced my oil consumption to less than 1 quart in 5k miles! I did a used oil report and it looked great. I say go for it! I will post the UOA tonight.

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
I'm running an acea A3/B3 in my 5w-20 spec'd engine. Runs great.

Based on your username, is your vehicle a Fusion ? We have a 2014 Fusion w/ 1.5L Ecoboost and I presume I can use 0W-40 in it as well ? It specs 5W-20 in the US while in other countries, Ireland I can say for sure, it calls for either 0W-20 or 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back