Moly in SRT oil vs standard Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking through VOA and UOAs of standard and SRT PUP oil, I noticed a larger amount of moly in the SRT version.

Does anyone know what type of moly is in the SRT oil? Judging from the 70-ish ppm in standard PUP, I would suffice a guess that its tri-nuclear type. But with the SRT oil having ~240 ppm, would that still be tri-nuclear or is it the normal mos2?

Im guessing the official answer is proprietary information but was curious if anyone here happened to know.

Thanks.

-Chris

I would bet it is the same tri-nuclear moly, just more of it. With that oil being spec'd for the SRT and used by Penske in their Indycars, I don't think they would skimp and use MoS2.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
I would bet it is the same tri-nuclear moly, just more of it. With that oil being spec'd for the SRT and used by Penske in their Indycars, I don't think they would skimp and use MoS2.

The Penske thing is new, where'd you read that?

The oil is decent, but nothing special. It replaced M1 0w-40, which was the previous SRT factory and service fill before the FIAT acquisition. It unfortunately has a higher NOACK than the Euro oils. Reminds me a bit of BMW 5w-30, which only carries LL-01. Yeah, it's a good oil, but it is missing more demanding specs, like say Porsche A40.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Brigadier
The Penske thing is new, where'd you read that?
Not MoS2, as it would settle out in that form: "Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) is a known lubricant additive. Unfortunately, it has certain known disadvantages some of which are caused by its insolubility in lubricating oils. Therefore, oil-soluble molybdenum sulfide-containing compounds have been proposed and investigated as lubricant additives. " --- https://patents.google.com/patent/US6232276B1/en ....that patent is complicated, and Infineum supplies Pennzoil & Mobil. .....MoDTC & MoDTP forms are usually what's out there, from the patent.

Penske & Pennzoil have been partnered a while. Pennzoil has advertised use of PUP SRT 0w40 in Helio's Indycar for about 4 years(?) I think.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

Penske & Pennzoil have been partnered a while. Pennzoil has advertised use of PUP SRT 0w40 in Helio's Indycar for about 4 years(?) I think.

Interesting, I would have expected them to use the Euro 5w-40 or 0w-40
21.gif
That's the typical choice. M1 0w-40 was somewhat notorious for its presence at the 24hrs of Daytona just as an example.

21.gif
That's the typical choice. M1 0w-40 was somewhat notorious for its presence at the 24hrs of Daytona just as an example.
It gets even weirder: BMW racing even uses PUP SRT 0w40.

BMW Motorsports RLL has used the SRT "hellcat" engine oil before, the Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 SRT oil, also re-branded Mopar dealership oil. ... It has 275 ppm moly.

"In 2015, Pennzoil® became the Premium Technology Partner for BMW Motorsport. BMW Team RLL uses Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ with PurePlus™ Technology in both BMW Z4 vehicles competing in the TUDOR United Sportscar Championship GTLM field."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaLGIZHO9Y0

So I'd guess it likes BMW/Mini engines too, but of course not LL-01 officially.

BMWoil.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

I had not realized how far reaching the 0W-40 PUP was (I also get a kick out of the BMW pic with the pour-er clearly covering where the SRT emblem might be
wink.gif
)

It seems like they really are putting "the good stuff" in it even at 240ppm, good on them, I guess.

Thanks for the info.

-Chris

The fact that it's used in by BMW racing is really interesting. I know that the Pennzoil Baja truck uses PP Euro 5W-40. If only PUP 0W-40 were cheaper and came in jugs.

Cheapest Ive found is to get the 6 pack at Amazon with subscribe and save. 6 pack comes out to 45, then the 12.00 rebate makes it 33. So a little over 5 bux a quart....its not as cheap as regular PUP after rebate, but its close.

Originally Posted by pantygnome
Cheapest Ive found is to get the 6 pack at Amazon with subscribe and save. 6 pack comes out to 45, then the 12.00 rebate makes it 33. So a little over 5 bux a quart....its not as cheap as regular PUP after rebate, but its close.

Thanks for the advice.

21.gif
It gets even weirder: BMW racing even uses PUP SRT 0w40.

BMW Motorsports RLL has used the SRT "hellcat" engine oil before, the Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 SRT oil, also re-branded Mopar dealership oil. ... It has 275 ppm moly.

"In 2015, Pennzoil® became the Premium Technology Partner for BMW Motorsport. BMW Team RLL uses Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ with PurePlus™ Technology in both BMW Z4 vehicles competing in the TUDOR United Sportscar Championship GTLM field."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaLGIZHO9Y0

So I'd guess it likes BMW/Mini engines too, but of course not LL-01 officially.

AFAIK, the SRT version wouldn't pass LL-01, as it requires a Noack of 10% or less.

That is interesting nonetheless. The thumb over the SRT logo is quite funny.

Last edited:
Maybe why the use of PUP SRT 0w40 is popular for Indycar, BMW RLL racing, and possibly other teams unreported, is due to the high moly (275 ppm). Most of the racing oil VOA's have a ton of moly in them. For example, if you use the poplular M1 Racing 0w30 you'd be at 1700 ppm moly, and Redline has about 800 ppm. Somebody posted an Idemitsu racing 10w30 recently that had a ton of moly. Formulators like moly due to the friction reduction and protective benefits.

Maybe why the use of PUP SRT 0w40 is popular for Indycar, BMW RLL racing, and possibly other teams unreported, is due to the high moly (275 ppm). Most of the racing oil VOA's have a ton of moly in them. For example, if you use the poplular M1 Racing 0w30 you'd be at 1700 ppm moly, and Redline has about 800 ppm. Somebody posted an Idemitsu racing 10w30 recently that had a ton of moly. Formulators like moly due to the friction reduction and protective benefits.

That's a reasonable theory.

I believe it's a good product and it's performance is compairable to other 0W40's. The issue it's hard to find. Also it's tri-nuclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back