Ford dealer over filled oil🔥

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to dealer couple months ago for oil change at 13000 miles. Was going on a 5500 mile trip. They overfilled it by one quart. Had them use full synthetic so they had to use quart containers, his excuse for the overfill. Would this create an issue with the truck. 3.5 ecoboost.

One quart over is a lot imo, some may beg to differ. A 1/2 qt. is my limit. Did it do any damage? Unfortunately there really is no way to tell. If you don't have any leaks, or consumption going forward, forget about it. Next time either DIY or check it on the dealers lot after they finish the work. It sucks to have to baby sit them, but it seems that's the only way to get the job right in many instances.

I don't think it is a problem, but the capacity is exactly 6 quarts. Did they put 7 "quart containers" in?

Capture.JPG

I wasn't there but they had to put 7 in. I had ‘3'
Free oil changes when I bought it. There doesn't appear to be any issues. But I was also pulling a camper ....

It's likely they didn't drain all the old oil out. Some shops are quick to put the plug back in when the stream starts to slow.

Originally Posted by dbvettez061
I wasn't there but they had to put 7 in. I had ‘3'
Free oil changes when I bought it. There doesn't appear to be any issues. But I was also pulling a camper ....

Like I said, if you aren't leaking, or using any oil, forget it. There is no way other way to tell if it did any damage w/o tearing the engine down and inspecting the internals, a fools errand. Odds are it didn't do any damage. Having said that, going forward make sure whoever changes the oil adds the correct amount.

If there is no oil foaming (air bubbles in oil), then overfilling by a quart is not a problem.
After driving, check for oil bubbles visible on the dipstick.

This guy had 10 qts put into a 2015 F-150 2.7L Ecoboost that holds 6 !!! : https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/...-a-minefield-of-potential-screw-ups.html
.. and a youtube video by a Ford tech talks about waiting 15 minutes or you get a low reading on the dipstick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl8-6v-kxuc
My '18 Equinox 1.5T's owner's manual mentions waiting a long time to check the oil too! I think all this can fool some young oil-change technicians.

Originally Posted by dbvettez061
Went to dealer couple months ago for oil change at 13000 miles. Was going on a 5500 mile trip. They overfilled it by one quart. Had them use full synthetic so they had to use quart containers, his excuse for the overfill. Would this create an issue with the truck. 3.5 ecoboost.

You drove away from the dealer without checking the oil on the diptick first?
Never do that!

Last edited:
better than my dealer they were going to use 5w30 syn blend servicepro in my 2019 cherokee 2.0T that requires chrysler ms-13340 oil.

I talked to them about it. They were still going to use it "formulated to work in all jeep engines"

I asked for the manager.. He looked at me like I was retarded.. then said they could use dexos oil in it.(like that is an oil)

The servepro dexos 1 full syn wasnt api sn+ or chrysler ms13340 but I said ok (free oil change) and they proceeded to fill it with
servepro 5w30 syn blend from the pump.

I had them rechange it with the actual 5w30 serve pro full syn dexos 1 oil.. Then changed it again to pennzoil api sn+ chrysler ms13340 oil when I got home.

They can shove their "free" oil changes.

Also my car came with Jeep wave.. which includes free tire rotations. I asked for one and they tried to charge me $25.. this is at the dealer. I told them no thanks.
Total incompetents.

Last edited:
did you drain out the oil and measure this quart over. Easy way to correct this change the oil yourself. It's amazing how many on here bring their car to the dealership for an oil change then sign on here to fire away their dealership woes.

Most of us here prefer to do our own oil changes. That way you know it was done right, you know exactly what is in the sump, and you save money to boot.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
One quart over is a lot imo, some may beg to differ. A 1/2 qt. is my limit. Did it do any damage? Unfortunately there really is no way to tell. If you don't have any leaks, or consumption going forward, forget about it. Next time either DIY or check it on the dealers lot after they finish the work. It sucks to have to baby sit them, but it seems that's the only way to get the job right in many instances.

That's why you just DIY. The full mark on the dipstick is my limit its there for a reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand

They can shove their "free" oil changes.

Also my car came with Jeep wave.. which includes free tire rotations. I asked for one and they tried to charge me $25.. this is at the dealer. I told them no thanks.
Total incompetents.

I like that, "they can shove their free oil changes." I told them they could keep them, along with the free tire rotations. LOL

Risk vs. reward = It isn't worth it for me, and free isn't always for me. The less I visit a dealership, the better.

I worked in a "10-minute oil change" and tune-up shop way back in 1980. I didn't get rich on $3.75/hr. Anyway, Saturdays were busy and the boss brought in his nephew to help on one of them. He fancied himself to be a hotshot 'mechanic'. We used to check each others' work afterwards, and on one car the oil level was just above the add mark. I questioned him about it and he said that as long as it was between the marks it was good. GRRR! I guess that was better than overfilling it, but I'm sure the customer expected the oil to be at the full mark right after a fresh oil change.

We would see a lot of cars come in with stripped drain plugs. We had universal rubber replacements we would use to stop the leak. GAH!

Our basic oil change package (bulk Esso 10W-30 dino, Fram fliter, and alleged 20-point inspection) was $14.88, a good deal even at that time. Quaker State 10W-30 dino was a $3 upcharge. Synthetic? What's that?

The 20-point inspection was a bit of a misnomer - four of the points were a "visual inspection of tire pressure". Even with the 78-series tires of the day, it was hard to judge how low a radial tire was. What else? Brake fluid level, ATF or MTF level, diff level, washer fluid. Perhaps we also checked turn signals and headlights. Hard to remember now. In any case, it was hard to get it done in the promised 10 minutes.

Every time I don't feel like crawling under the car, I think back to those days.

I avoid dealer service departments, and all automotive service departments whenever possible.

Some decade or so ago when GM had so many complaints of their gas engines burning too much oil, the dealer would purposely over fill the crankcase by a quart and put seal tape on the dipstick. They would tell the customer to drive so many miles, 1000, 2000, bring back to the dealer and they will check it while you watch. I don't think they could legally void your warranty if you did brake the tape and check the oil level, but more than 99% were too timid to pull the dip stick.

A few of the smarter customers went home, drained the oil, measured the volume, and poured it back in. That's how it was widely proved that GM knew they had oil burners and were over filling. I believe it was mostly the 4.8L, 5.3L, and the 8.1L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back