Porcelain Tile Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be installing 18" porcelain tiles in my bathroom. The old floor thickness was .80" and I want to stick with that if I can. I am going to be using Hardibacker (cement board) which is .25" and the tile is .25" and 3/16" mortar using a 3/8 trowel. This will be installed on 3/4" planks.

Anyone see a problem with this?

You must install plywood over the planks of you will end up with problems. You might want to read the tcna (tile council of North america ) and check what is allowable. Or check 'the John bridge forum's and save yourself a lot of problems down the road

What Bill and Snaggle said. You need to verify that the underlyling structure is sufficient for tile - it depends on the joist size and spacing as well as the subflooring - the planks may not be suitable. Consider a 1/2" trowel and a levelling/anti-lippage system for those big tiles. Johnbridge forums are invaluable, easily among the best help forum for DIY.

I'm in the middle of a master bathroom remodel myself. I had to add a layer of plywood over the existing subfloor, then on top of that I used a combined underlayment/heat wire mat called Strataheat, made by Laticrete. It's similar to Schluter Ditra Heat.

jeff

Originally Posted by Danno
Will you cement the hardi to the floor then screw it in?

Given the situation....I think I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back