Toyota 1GR-FE V6 head gasket stop leak additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 4Runner V6 showing 235k miles with the well known cold start #6 misfire and coolant consumption, about a reservoirs worth over a period of about 5k miles. The issue seems to have gotten worse lately with more consistent cold start misfires that take longer to clear up. Can someone suggest a head gasket sealer (I have been reccomended Blue Devil and Alumasil) so I can temporarily fix the vehicle and trade it in? Unable to pass emissions testing due to CEL being illuminated from misfiring.

Blue Devil. This is the perfect type of HG failure for their product. Usually, HG failures are compression entering the cooling system and these fixes can't work. You're consuming coolant, perfect situation.

Are you selling the 4Runner?
Even Blue Devil however good it may be, is a last resort repair when getting rid of a vehicle soon(er) than later.
If you are keeping this vehicle for any length of time(being 13 yrs old) then, replace the HG(s).

Not really, these engines use an embossed multi layered steel shim gasket with a PTFE (no stick) coating. No need to explain why nothing will work very well if at all any further. Another hack (I hate advising this) you could try is tightening the head bolts a little, may be 1/16 of a turn (no more its a aluminum block), it might just stop it if not forget it.
Trading it in full of Blue Devil could possibly ruin the radiator and heater and clog other parts of the engine is bad Karma, trade it in as it is and take the hit.

When you do this, you're not stiffing the stealer, but the next schmuck who buys the car used. Every car I've ever bought used from a dealer has had coolant leaks and stop-leak in the coolant, and started leaking again a month or two after buying it. Luckily it was always radiators, intake manifolds etc. and never a head gasket, and I'm a DIYer.

Worst one I ever got was a car that had been flooded up to the doors, and the owner replaced the carpet and traded it in. Under the carpet, everything was corroded to Hades. I forced the dealer to take that one back under the lemon law. I'm imagining they sued the previous owner, I would've.

Bad karma is exactly right. Don't do it. Fix it, sell it with full disclosure or scrap it. Someone may think it's worth fixing; it's not that bad cost-wise if you can do it yourself with the right tools and know-how. There are a lot of hardcore Toyota fans out there.

Last edited:
The head bolts are located under the camshafts, so if you're in that deep, you may as well replace the HGs.

I have an '05 4Runner as well. In 2011, mine started to show these symptoms at only 88k miles. I replaced the HGs 7 years ago this fall.

Head gasket issues make your exhaust smell like sugar. Just keep topping it off and checking on it and let the pedestrians enjoy the smell of freshly baked cake when they're waiting to cross the street.

But for real, the Subaru stuff works well for Subarus, I guess. You can find it online (Amazon) for about $6. But if you're planning to keep this rig for very long, I'd just save up and have it fixed. What's the cost? Do you know?

I wouldn't mind keeping the truck as it would probably be cheaper short term than having to move into something else. It's in fair shape otherwise. Ultimately it will be sold for something more fuel efficient.

Would replacing the HG on just one bank be unheard of?

I figure to have it done professionally it would cost upwards of $2k, where the truck is probably worth about $4-5k.

Originally Posted by AndrewD
I wouldn't mind keeping the truck as it would probably be cheaper short term than having to move into something else. It's in fair shape otherwise. Ultimately it will be sold for something more fuel efficient.

I figure to have it done professionally it would cost upwards of $2k, where the truck is probably worth about $4-5k.
Having other people fix your 13 year old car is going to be a bad value no matter what shortcuts you try. You should just cut your losses, sounds like it had a good run.

If it's going to cost that much to fix it, just sell it. Some people look for vehicles like yours, so they can do the repair, and then flip it to make some money.

Originally Posted by AndrewD

How many car payments is 2K?

most people shopping these know the HG risks in '04-'05, having the repair done will obviously increase price when you do sell so not a complete loser.

Originally Posted by dblshock
most people shopping these know the HG risks in '04-'05, having the repair done will obviously increase price when you do sell so not a complete loser.

Some early '06s are affected, too. Build dates 12/05 and later were manufactured with the updated HGs.

Originally Posted by BigD1
You would be lucky if anything will work.

Go to a Subaru dealer, and buy the Subaru coolant conditioner. Last bottle I bought cost about $4. It's made by Holts. Not sure which Holts formulation it is though.

Subaru SOA635071 OEM Coolant System Conditioner

Its a Ginger root formula, the same thing as GM or Bars Leak tabs. Holts/Subaru just added the water and mixed it up for you.

OP, take it to ToyConnection in San Jose. They specialize in these trucks and can repair vehicles for significantly less than market value. Ask for chuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back