MMO in a pinch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I shot my Rem 870 over the weekend and took it apart for a good cleaning with my usual Hops No.9 and then could not find my gun oil! So I used MMO in a pinch on inside of barrel and outside of the gun. Is it ok for storage or do I need to take it all apart and go over it with some gun specific oil?

I have used MMO on guns a good bit, with good results, even as a lube on semi autos. You're good.

Well, for storage I would think MMO might be a bit volatile and it might be best to wipe it down with something else. Other than that I wouldn't hesitate to use MMO if it was all I had. I have had great results using fluid film for storage, actually.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
So I shot my Rem 870 over the weekend and took it apart for a good cleaning with my usual Hops No.9 and then could not find my gun oil! So I used MMO in a pinch on inside of barrel and outside of the gun. Is it ok for storage or do I need to take it all apart and go over it with some gun specific oil?

If you plan on using that pump outdoors this winter (for instance hunting), get a more proper gun lubricant / protectant inside it.

I used pretty much nothing but various brands and types of motor oil on my guns for most of the 38 years I spend living in the rust belt, (Chicago). I never had a single rust or lubrication issue with any of my firearms ever. Now you can say I was lucky, assuming you buy into "luck"...... But 38 straight years of it?

Depends on where you live - how you store them - how you use those guns outdoors and where you use those guns outdoors.

I hunt in all kinds of weather - plus all kinds of high humidity here in the middle of the Great Lakes. I would never trust MMO for what I do - where I go and how I store them. My muzzleloaders need even stricter care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back