Balancing options on MG Midget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facing a little dilemma with the MG. Bought tires roughly 15 years ago, and back then I found there was only one shop nearby that could balance the wheels, because the holes in the factory wheels are too small for the balancing machines. That one company is no longer around, and the tires are getting old. Might need to think about replacements again soon. Don't want to enlarge the holes on the rims for lots of reasons. Don't want to buy aftermarket wheels either.

How does one go about re-balancing them? Or do I ask the tire shop if they can leave the weights alone or replace them exactly after changing the tires?

Do you have any track-focused "speed shops" available around your area? I find those types of shops can usually mount weird size tires to the wheels. The weights will need to be added back on after mounting the tires (unless you specify you want NO weights, but that's normally seen on track-only cars.)

Ah, racing! I forgot that Winner's Circle in Cleveland specializes in Midget/Sprite racing. Maybe they can balance them or know a shop who can.

Buschur Racing in Wakeman, Ohio might also be able to mount the tires for you.

Taking a closer look at the tires, they don't appear to be in dire need of replacement. No signs of cracking or dry rot, lots of tread left, and it spends most of its time in the garage. Only about 10,000 miles on them. So, hold out for a few more years? I've seen tires that are only a few years old looking worse.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Get one of the old school bubble balancers and do it yourself.

Do you have front discs or drums? Take the brakes off and spin your wheel and tire on just the bearing-- if it stops in the same spot every time add weight up top. A static balance should be fine for this car.

Are these wire wheels? Gotta run tubes?

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Taking a closer look at the tires, they don't appear to be in dire need of replacement. No signs of cracking or dry rot, lots of tread left, and it spends most of its time in the garage. Only about 10,000 miles on them. So, hold out for a few more years? I've seen tires that are only a few years old looking worse.

A word of caution:

Some tire manufacturers use a different rubber compound on the sidewalls in order to prevent weather related cracking. The problem is that what is inside the tire is what is most important while the outside is used only as an indicator. (Hint: No tire failed because the sidewall was cracked, but many tires have failed because the rubber inside got too old and degraded.

So a tire might look OK, but inside it is a disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back