Am I crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2018 accord sport is fairly low, so I'll have to rig something up to get it on my ramps to change oil. Alternatively, my dealer does a 'full synthetic' oil change for 39.95. No fuss, no muss. While I can't change it with what I want, it saves a lot of hassle and time, especially with a six month old at home. Considering it. Am I nuts? Changing oil is therapeutic for me, as it is for many here, but this might just be worth it....

If the dealership screws up the job and your engine runs without oil, they will probably take blame and replace the engine in your 2018 Accord with a remanufactured one.

Would you feel OK if that happened?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
If the dealership screws up the job and your engine runs without oil, they will probably take blame and replace the engine in your 2018 Accord with a remanufactured one.

Yeah, but if you check the oil level afterwards, there's a very low chance of that happening.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Yeah, but if you check the oil level afterwards, there's a very low chance of that happening.

It could happen before then -- the tech could forget to fill it with oil and then start it up and drive it out of the bay.

Basically I'm saying - if you can live with the regret of the decision under the worst possible scenario, then go ahead do it.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

It could happen before then -- the tech could forget to fill it with oil and then start it up and drive it out of the bay.

Basically I'm saying - if you can live with the regret of the decision under the worst possible scenario, then go ahead do it.

Yup. They could even realize quickly afterward and try to cover it up by filling it later and not tell him before they gave him back the keys.

There's also a bunch of other things they could make mistakes with:
1. Did they leave the drain plug loose? Checking your oil means nothing if the plug comes loose 3 days later while you're on the highway.
2. Did they use a crush washer?
3. Did they overtighten the drain plug?
4. Did they spill oil all down the back or side of the engine when filling it? Make sure you check and if they did, good luck getting them to clean it up without using a degreaser and leaving corrosion everywhere (white aluminum oxide spots all over the block for starters).

Me personally, no I wouldn't let them do it. I've seen idiots ruin the simplest jobs.

I made the mistake of taking the selling dealer up on their first free oil change coupon I got with purchase of my new F150. I also made the mistake of not checking it until a week after getting it done. It was a quart low. Apparently they did not account for the larger sump in the 2018 5.0 engine vs previous years. It was still covering the first hole on the dipstick so I am sure no damage was done (and the engine specs 8.8 quarts), but from now on I will do my own oil changes like normal. Plus I am not a fan of Motorcraft blend oil.

Quattro Pete is spot on about using 2X6's.
I place a cut to my ramps width 2X4 in front of each ramp to change oil on the cars in my signature.
A 2X6 would be even better.

Okay OP, been there, done that (yes, the baby part too), and rolled back (the oil change part, kept the baby).

While you have to take care of your family, don’t forget to take care of you too, else you could get burned quickly. For me, it was necessary to get back to getting some things I enjoy done: oil changes.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
My 2018 accord sport is fairly low, so I'll have to rig something up to get it on my ramps to change oil. Alternatively, my dealer does a 'full synthetic' oil change for 39.95. No fuss, no muss. While I can't change it with what I want, it saves a lot of hassle and time, especially with a six month old at home. Considering it. Am I nuts? Changing oil is therapeutic for me, as it is for many here, but this might just be worth it....

Crazy-no, lazy- perhaps. The amount of time you will spend going to the dealer, you will be done well before by doing it yourself.

Last edited:
Both of my cars are fairly low,especially my 300ZX which is VERY low. I start off with two pieces of 2X4,then two bricks,and finally the ramps. Makes for the perfect progression of elevation.

I'm like you,changing my own oil is therapeutic and satisfying. Plus it gives me the chance to inspect the entire undercarriage as well.

I have to bet that the majority of oil jobs at a dealer are not complete fiasco's...

If it's every six months then I can't think you'd save much time going to the dealer. Seems like it takes 30-60 minutes when I've gone for the most simple of things. If you have garage space then my vote is to do yourself, do the tire rotation at the same time and any other work that is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back