2007 Ford F-150 5.4L 3v Motorcraft Synth Blend 5W20 2,963 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone. Just stopping in to share my latest analysis on my '07 F-150 5.4. I know my intervals are arbitrarily short, but I am an OCD freak and this is my "feel good" measure. I like doing UOAs once a year, or so to make sure everything is still wearing good. This particular engine (5.4 3v) has a terrible reputation for being one of the biggest pieces of garbage Ford ever produced, but thank God it looks like I got lucky.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Onetor
That is one of the best UOA i've ever seen.

I am definitely happy with the results from this engine. I have owned this truck for about 8 years now and it has been solid. Hoping to keep it running for a lot longer. All I've done is spark plugs on the engine.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Definitely a 500,000 mile engine from the looks of the UOA.

I certainly hope so. I'm going to try and make it last as long as it possibly can. This truck is paid for and I love not having a note, lol.

Last edited:
Wear totals are low because the OCI is short. Wear rates are inline with just about every other mod-motor; Fe around 2ppm/1k miles or a bit less.
Yes, this engine has issues with the cam phasers and associated components. That's just the nature of this beast.
I realize that you're unlikely to extend your OCIs, but at least you're very fair and honest about your obsession. Although unlikely to change, you can freely admit your OCD nature.
The short OCI does not assure the engine will last any longer, but if it makes you feel good, that's perhaps it's greatest value.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Wear totals are low because the OCI is short. Wear rates are inline with just about every other mod-motor; Fe around 2ppm/1k miles or a bit less.
Yes, this engine has issues with the cam phasers and associated components. That's just the nature of this beast.
I realize that you're unlikely to extend your OCIs, but at least you're very fair and honest about your obsession. Although unlikely to change, you can freely admit your OCD nature.
The short OCI does not assure the engine will last any longer, but if it makes you feel good, that's perhaps it's greatest value.

Yes, I have always been quite obsessive with maintenance. Just the way I am. I think what makes me become even more obsessive is how sensitive these 5.4 3 valve motors are. Slightest gunk up on VCT screens or something and the timing goes crazy. I've always been worried about that happening, so to put my mind at rest, I just change it early.

Last edited:
Since you're planning on having your 5.4 for a long time, check out FordTechMakuloco on YouTube. He has several helpful videos on replacement cam phasers and an upgraded oil pump that should keep your F150 living a long life.

Originally Posted By: AITG
Since you're planning on having your 5.4 for a long time, check out FordTechMakuloco on YouTube. He has several helpful videos on replacement cam phasers and an upgraded oil pump that should keep your F150 living a long life.

I've been watching him for some time now. Good tech. Taught me a good bit of what I know about these engines.

So far, I have been able to slip by with my 5.4 without any cam phaser/timing chain issues. About a month post-purchase of the truck, I learned about the problems these engines have (naturally). But, it has been the most reliable truck we've had in the family. Amazing how something can have such a terrible design with a bad rep, but the experience can be completely contrary. I have 0 complaints, other than the terrible 2 piece spark plug design. Those can be a PITA. But, it is what it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back