2007 F-150 5.4L 3v Kendall GT-1 w/ Liquid Titanium 5W-20 2,851 mi

Hi, everyone. Just thought I'd drop this here. I'm an OCD nut, so that's why the interval is so short, as usual. Recently switched from Motorcraft Synthetic Blend over to Kendall Synthetic Blend because it's basically the same oil and I get it a fair bit cheaper. Results pleased me. Old 5.4L 3v (time bomb engine) seems to be doing well for approaching the 200k area.

5.4 3v Blackstone UOA #4.PNG

Looks like you have no issues. I have a 2008 5.4 which I switched to 5W30. Some 'experts' claim the cam phasers last longer. I have no proof of that but its at 186,000 miles with zero engine repair.

@ Gene K: Lol, I know. I usually don't drive this truck hardly at all, but recently I took a long trip in it and racked these miles up in only a month, so I think that's why the viscosity is higher than usual. I'm no expert, though. I could be completely wrong.

@ AITG: Yeah, I think it probably does help the phasers somewhat, but I believe the majority of phaser issues stemmed from the timing chain tensioner gaskets blowing out and not the 5W-20 oil. Still, 5W-30 certainly can't hurt anything and the 5W-20 was only called for because of CAFE standards.

Recently switched from Motorcraft Synthetic Blend over to Kendall Synthetic Blend because it's basically the same oil and I get it a fair bit cheaper.
Additive packages are different but both are made by ConocoPhillips. Kendall has titanium in its add pack whereas MC does not. I am running Kendall GT-1 Max in my Rubicon.

I’m approaching 5,000 miles in my 2020 F-150. I have 6 Qt. of 5W30 GT-1 Max ready to go in. I can get the GT-1 Max for a good price and it is what I will be using.

Back