Pictures in folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we have one data point so far in this thread, where changing something is much easier using W10 vs W7...

Again, I'm a moderately tech-savvy individual and W10 is much easier for daily and maintenance tasks than W7.

To say you like Windows XP is, to me, like saying you prefer carbs over EFI. If you've worked on carbs your whole life, they're easy to work with and can provide years of trouble-free service. There's less offered and less to trouble-shoot - that is, unless you run into a security issue, because patches, like parts for older carbs, are no longer being pushed/made! If you're not so good, can't find what you need to maintain them safely running, or want something way more efficient for your daily driver, carbs are dinosaurs when compared to the latest EFI.

To take it further, I remember using W98 back in Highschool, and though it was SO much better than W95! W2000 and Vista were a joke; W7 was a great improvement over Vista; W8/8.1 was essentially equivalent to W7 at its core, but tried too hard to be metro (odd choice for a UI name, if you ask me!), like Vista;

W10 = best yet and getting better.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Just wait until you have to go to Windows 10. At least there is nearly unlimited info about problems in Win7 and beyond.

I have zero desire to "upgrade" to Windows 10. And I'll run this computer until it will no longer operate. If it were up to me I would still be using Windows XP. I'm going to have to buy a new laptop soon. And I'm already regretting being stuck with having no choice but to live with Windows 10 if I do buy one.

There are ways to make Windows 10 look and operate similar to the Windows 7 user interface. My plan is to guy a cheap laptop for low level tasks that has Windows 10 on it so I can learn the system before ever spending big money for a new desktop system with Windows 10 on it.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Well, we have one data point so far in this thread, where changing something is much easier using W10 vs W7...

Again, I'm a moderately tech-savvy individual and W10 is much easier for daily and maintenance tasks than W7.

To say you like Windows XP is, to me, like saying you prefer carbs over EFI. If you've worked on carbs your whole life, they're easy to work with and can provide years of trouble-free service. There's less offered and less to trouble-shoot - that is, unless you run into a security issue, because patches, like parts for older carbs, are no longer being pushed/made! If you're not so good, can't find what you need to maintain them safely running, or want something way more efficient for your daily driver, carbs are dinosaurs when compared to the latest EFI.

To take it further, I remember using W98 back in Highschool, and though it was SO much better than W95! W2000 and Vista were a joke; W7 was a great improvement over Vista; W8/8.1 was essentially equivalent to W7 at its core, but tried too hard to be metro (odd choice for a UI name, if you ask me!), like Vista;

You missed mentioning the worst Windows in history.... Windows Me.

Bill
Buy Windows 10 Pro, for easier use and more freedom at your fingertips.. Do not buy Windows 10 Home.

Just wait until you have to go to Windows 10. At least there is nearly unlimited info about problems in Win7 and beyond.

I have zero desire to "upgrade" to Windows 10. And I'll run this computer until it will no longer operate. If it were up to me I would still be using Windows XP. I'm going to have to buy a new laptop soon. And I'm already regretting being stuck with having no choice but to live with Windows 10 if I do buy one.

There are ways to make Windows 10 look and operate similar to the Windows 7 user interface. My plan is to guy a cheap laptop for low level tasks that has Windows 10 on it so I can learn the system before ever spending big money for a new desktop system with Windows 10 on it.

Yea, like do nothing at all.
27.gif

Seriously, for those who aren't super savvy, you may not even notice the difference.

If you're not super savvy, but aren't very keen on change, regardless of whether its overall better or worse, then I'd still say you'd be hard-pressed to dislike W10, if given a few days to become accustomed to the few changes that affect your daily use.

If you're a bit more tech-inclined, then I see no reason to stick with anything older than W10; makes no sense.

//

My wife falls into the first category. She's a very smart lady, but could not care less how a vehicle works (be it a computer OS or vehicle ECM/engine), so long as it does work. If something goes wrong, I can usually figure it out or go through the usual Google-inspired trouble-shooting steps within an afternoon. This happens very infrequently and most of the time she really didn't need me to do anything; after a long period of time, I check that everything is up to date and working properly for her, even if she hasn't noticed any issues.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

You missed mentioning the worst Windows in history.... Windows Me.

Bill
Buy Windows 10 Pro, for easier use and more freedom at your fingertips.. Do not buy Windows 10 Home.

Was that short for millennium edition? I think I recall that being on our laptops in school for a very short period before we moved on to 2000 or some other version I can't recall. This was just after the turn of the century for me, back when single-core laptop CPU's with more than 1 BILLION Hertz, but could speed-step down to 700 Million Hz to save some on battery consumption!

Originally Posted By: AandPDan

You DO have a choice - Linux.

This. Linux can keep an "elderly" computer functional for a very long time.

I remember using W98 back in Highschool, and though it was SO much better than W95! W2000 and Vista were a joke; W7 was a great improvement over Vista; W8/8.1 was essentially equivalent to W7 at its core, but tried too hard to be metro (odd choice for a UI name, if you ask me!), like Vista......

So.... When you get right down to it, adding it all up Windows is batting around 50% success with their operating systems. Windows 2000, (and don't forget Windows Millennium), Windows Vista, and Windows 8.1, were all basic turds in a punch bowl that no one wanted. And they didn't last long as a result.

I purchased a desktop with Windows 8.1, and the thing simply wouldn't run. I tried everything over several days. I ended up unhooking it out of total frustration, and took it back to Best Buy. And when I got there I found there were 4 others just like it, all sitting on the floor behind the return counter. (They refunded my money without asking a single question).

That's when I had to order my Windows 7 desktop that I'm currently running, because it was supposedly "obsolete". So I ended up with an "obsolete" operating system that ran perfectly. As opposed to a "new & improved" version, (8.1), that wouldn't run at all.

Most people use their computers the same as I do. Basic picture and document storage, and to surf the web. You don't need a "new & improved" operating system every 5 minutes to accomplish that.

Most people use their computers the same as I do. Basic picture and document storage, and to surf the web. You don't need a "new & improved" operating system every 5 minutes to accomplish that.
You do if you want to be secured. January 14, 2020 is EOL for Windows 7 and the security patches stop then as well (unless MS pushes the date back--historically they have). I feel your pain on Windows 8; it was the same for Vista and Millennium. However, Windows 10 is quite good and many times will run on Windows 7 hardware as long as it is not too old and has adequate RAM. There are still ways to upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost even though MS stopped the "free" upgrade quite some time ago.

I remember using W98 back in Highschool, and though it was SO much better than W95! W2000 and Vista were a joke; W7 was a great improvement over Vista; W8/8.1 was essentially equivalent to W7 at its core, but tried too hard to be metro (odd choice for a UI name, if you ask me!), like Vista......

So.... When you get right down to it, adding it all up Windows is batting around 50% success with their operating systems. Windows 2000, (and don't forget Windows Millennium), Windows Vista, and Windows 8.1, were all basic turds in a punch bowl that no one wanted. And they didn't last long as a result.

I purchased a desktop with Windows 8.1, and the thing simply wouldn't run. I tried everything over several days. I ended up unhooking it out of total frustration, and took it back to Best Buy. And when I got there I found there were 4 others just like it, all sitting on the floor behind the return counter. (They refunded my money without asking a single question).

That's when I had to order my Windows 7 desktop that I'm currently running, because it was supposedly "obsolete". So I ended up with an "obsolete" operating system that ran perfectly. As opposed to a "new & improved" version, (8.1), that wouldn't run at all.

99% of desktop purchases have no problems that require a return to store. Your excuse for not upgrading is lame.
Pretty simple: Your outdated equipment is not going to have the features / new tech advances of today's models.
I know you have the money. You keep purchasing new guns.

Personally speaking Bill, I only buy new from the manufacturer. I've had Dell deliver (2) to my door since 2004. My first one in 2000 was a Best Buy Compaq model in Windows Me that was junk. All the manufacturers run sales too. I've had great success with Dell Desktops. I don;t buy their cheapest one or their most expensive models. I pick one from the middle and customize it.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Your excuse for not upgrading is lame. Pretty simple: Your outdated equipment is not going to have the features / new tech advances of today's models....... I know you have the money. You keep purchasing new guns.

So what? Why should I spend money "upgrading" to something I don't need, or will use? Nothing changes or gets cheaper faster than electronic technology. Just because something new comes out, doesn't mean it's smart to run out and buy it. My cell phones are a $100.00 Motorola Moto-G's, that I bought several years ago at Wal-Mart. I don't even think they make or sell that model any longer. They were probably outdated when I bought them.

It doesn't matter. I can make or receive a call with it as good as the day I bought it. Or as well as the latest Galaxy. Both of them are paired with both of my vehicles, and successfully downloaded both directories into both cars. It runs the turn by turn navigation in my new 2018 Toyota as well as the latest I-Phone could or would. Again, why should I "upgrade", and waste money? It does everything I require of it.

My desktop is no different. Could I make this post any faster if I had Windows 10 instead of 7? I don't need anything better. If and when this computer takes a dump, I'll replace it with whatever wiz bang version Microsoft is hawking at that time. Until then my money will stay where it can earn something, and not be wasted on something that will eventually be worth nothing. That the clock to worthlessness starts ticking on the day after you buy it. If that sounds "lame" to you, I can't help that.

And remember guns go up in value, not down. What will you give me for my old Windows XP Sony Viao desktop that's sitting in my closet? That's waiting for me to take it out to the desert and use it for target practice.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
You do if you want to be secured. January 14, 2020 is EOL for Windows 7 and the security patches stop then as well (unless MS pushes the date back--historically they have).

Will be interesting to see if Microsoft pushes the Win7 EOL out some.

How many unknown security vulnerabilities still exist after hundreds of security updates put out since it was launched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back