Jetta brake fluid swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Jetta and it's time to change the brake fluid. It's also a 5 speed and I will need to change out the fluid in the clutch as well.
What is the best type of dot4 fluid for this application and how hard will it be to service the clutch. I have a power bleeder from
Harbor Freight but I don't know if it would work on my clutch. I've seen some youtube video using a Motive bleeder but it's different that
the HF tool. Thanks all and I really enjoy this forum.

I used Pentosin DOT 4 when I changed out the fluid in my wife's New Beetle which I believe is OE. You can get it at any AutoZone. Check your owners manual since there are 2 types of DOT 4; Super DOT 4 and DOT LV which are different viscosities according to what type of ABS system the vehicle uses. According to the Pentosin website your vehicle uses the LV. For the clutch I recommend you check your owners manual or the lid of the clutch reservoir. As for bleeding the clutch, I wish I could help you but my cars are all autos, BUT there are some great VW forums out there that may be able to help you. That's what I did when I needed to change the "fill for life" ATF. Oh and welcome to BITOG where you will learn more than you ever wanted to know or needed to know about motor oil.

ATE SL.6/Pentosin Super DOT4LV/Bosch ESI6.

All of them are low-viscosity DOT4s and will work fine in your Jetta.

You might have to two-man it or vacuum. I think it is less susceptible to damage than a brake master cylinder, I two-manned mine on my old car on what was probably an original clutch cylinder at 200k kms with no issues.

I attempted to bleed the brakes on my 2012 Jetta. I barely tightened down the bleeder and it snapped in half, in the caliper. I would be careful, I've done a few American cars no problem, but I guess the VWs have super light bleeders. Or I'm an idiot (Probably) or I got a badly done caliper. Next time it's going to VW. I'm almost pretty sure the clutch shares the brake booster? Never attempted it on mine after that screw up. 130,000 miles later on (almost) original fluid.

I did that on my daughters Equinox. Snapped the bleed screw right off. So now it has a new caliper because
the easy out wouldn't work. I've used my HF bleed kit on my other two cars and it worked fine. Its a
different set up than the motive bleeder but I think it does the same thing. Maybe at some point this
weekend I will get to bleeding. I bought some LV fluid at AutoZone for $18.00 a liter. Thanks
for the feedback and everyone enjoy your weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back