Motul ...'Made in Vietnam'...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my 8100 X-cess 5w40. Was expecting the usual 'Made in Italy'.

Apparently in Australia, most of the Motul products we get now are manufactured in Vietnam.

Is this any cause for concern in your opinion?

Thanks!

Picked up a bottle of Ketsup Manis this afternoon, a product of the Netherlands.

edit...I didn't buy it, what would the Netherlands know about Ketsup Manis ???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Picked up a bottle of Ketsup Manis this afternoon, a product of the Netherlands.

I had to look this up...how do you use that stuff?

I just got 5L of the stuff last week, it was made in Italy. Maybe the new incoming stock will be Vietnamese, no idea.

At least Motul tells you where it's made in..... None of the oils sold in North america have that label. At most they'll say "bottled in America using foreign & domestic contents"

mikezz said:
I received my 8100 X-cess 5w40. Was expecting the usual 'Made in Italy'.

Apparently in Australia, most of the Motul products we get now are manufactured in Vietnam.

Is this any cause for concern in your opinion?

Thanks!

No problem. The ISO 9001 Quality Contol procedures includes spot checks to check if it’s whithin the standards. The plant in Vietnam is probably more modern than the one in Italy.

Last edited:
Over 50,000 American soldiers died so you can get products made in Vietnam. Some of the names on the Vietnam memorial wall I recogise.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Over 50,000 American soldiers died so you can get products made in Vietnam. Some of the names on the Vietnam memorial wall I recogise.

The OP might remind you that more than a few Diggers died there as well.

Lots of Americans died fighting Chinese soldiers in Korea, too, and look at all the stuff we buy from there.
Then, there is WWII to deal with...

Sigh!

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
At least Motul tells you where it's made in..... None of the oils sold in North america have that label. At most they'll say "bottled in America using foreign & domestic contents"

Well, how do you classify "made in" when you are blending US, Korean, Qatar, Canadian, Mexico base oils blend together, without getting hit by a lawsuit?

Without going political, and the hindsight of how it turns out 40 years later, think of it this way:

Back in the 60s, the concern would be them blending oil for USSR instead of the Aussie. The fallen would be glad that they are finally on "our side" instead of on the Soviet side blending oil for them.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

They used to "own" large swaths of SE Asia. The Dutchies know a lot of stuff about "elsewhere" ...

Originally Posted By: Audios
I wonder if this coincides with Motuls recent price drop.

Interesting. For some reason, I thought this was only destined for the SE Asia market.

All just so I could pay a premium to buy a French branded oil made in Vietnam? Ok.

Last edited:
I just don't see how that's relevant really to discussion about quality control, etc.

Also, there's the issue that Capitalism only spawned there in the late 80s, after post war Communism.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikezz
I just don't see how that's relevant really to discussion about quality control, etc.

Also, there's the issue that Capitalism only spawned there in the late 80s, after post war Communism.

After the Vietnamese mass immigration in the 80’s many discovered our capitalism and the word got back to the people at home. It was that kind of information sharing that happened before the Internet took over. Plus, money was sent back as well from business owners and those with good paying jobs.

A bit of a end run so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back