Chose Quaker State High Mileage for current OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Is QS HM still called "DEFY"?

Jug I got does not say Defy, but the labeling and everything is identical otherwise.

I used QSUD two oil changes ago. Mostly because of all the Trolls bad mouthing it. It worked well for me and the Corolla used a little more than a cup on that OCI most of it before I replaced the PCV. The UOA came back stellar on wear metals. Don't believe everything you read on BITOG. After you've been on here awhile you know who they are and they aren't fooling anyone.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I like the amount of Moly and Boron...

So do I. That PQIA sample is from March 2018, so that VOA is likely the current formulation. Should be Group II+ with a shot of group III, plus that add pack. I plan to run it about same duration as the last fill: 4000 - 6000 miles and one year. The Forester doesn't get out a whole lot ...
grin.gif

You will be fine Loneranger. Quaker State is a fine oil. In all offerings.
I like the formulation has well. Similar to Formula Shell... Which runs very quiet in my Altima VQ 3.5.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I like the formulation has well. Similar to Formula Shell... Which runs very quiet in my Altima VQ 3.5.

Interesting indeed, because the Soob's valve train is quieter on QS than pretty much any other oil so far. And Formula Shell and QS both being part of SOPUS ... hummm... might be the same stuff?

I would not rule that out has a possibility... Price point wise those two oils are typically very similar to each other.

These two oils plus Havoline get thought of being less than some other oils available. That really could be "true" but only if one is trying to run very, very long change intervals. If one is running 7500 miles or less these oils are just fine for that. Above or going over 9k to 10k miles plus a UOA would be beneficial to see if the oils maintain viscosity well enough.

FS, QS, and PP all have different additive packages. One has boron; the other doesn't, and the other has a different type of moly at a much higher ppm etc.

However, I think QSUD and PPPP both have GTL, as their NOACK and CCS are very similar. I haven't seen any recent PQIA data on FSFS; so, I have no idea how its base oil is.

Regarding quieter, perhaps the high ppm of moly is helping.

Actually... Formula Shell and Quaker State high mileage additive packages are rather similar....

QSHM: Molybdenum 193 Boron 113 and calcium around 2290

Formula Shell: Molybdenum 153 Boron 110 Calcium 1900.

Rather similar.

Last edited:
Actually... Formula Shell and Quaker State high mileage additive packages are rather similar....

QSHM: Molybdenum 193 Boron 113 and calcium around 2290

Formula Shell: Molybdenum 153 Boron 110 Calcium 1900.

Rather similar.

Good comparison.

When you factor in the habit of consolidating production processes across various brands owned by the parent corporation, and letting the Marketing Dept handle differentiation of similar products within the larger corporate group then it starts to come into focus: They're likely the same, with different marketing approaches. QSHM is a Chevy truck, Formula Shell's a GMC ...

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Interesting indeed, because the Soob's valve train is quieter on QS than pretty much any other oil so far. And Formula Shell and QS both being part of SOPUS ... hummm... might be the same stuff?

No it's not. Neither the base oil, nor the additive package. I recall emailing SOPUS with that question a few years ago.

Ahh those additives are REALLY quite similar... And I didn't pull those out of the thin air.... Those come from PQIA test results....

Any further break down analysis relating to exact bases used etc?? That I will not say for sure. Because it's obvious to me I don't know that specifically. But the additive packages do look very, very similar.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Good comparison.

Shell claims the products are different, and I believe them. However, I'd agree that the VOAs are identical within batch variance and measurement error.

I am going to use QS high mileage 10W40 in my Jaguar V12... Since I do a OCI about every 2K miles(do not drive it often and sometimes change it every other year), I would think this oil would work well. Plus, at under $15 for 5 quarts(the V12 calls for 10 quarts) the price is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back