Post Your Latest Coolant Change.

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with six speed manual. 58,930 miles. Drain and fill with no flush. I like the little plastic drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. Easy peasy.

Out: Factory fill coolant

In: Honda Genuine type 2 Long Life Coolant ("Honda Blue").

Next coolant change, I suppose, will come with the dreaded timing belt replacement, at about 100,000 miles, give or take.

2004 Kia Optima 2.4L, probably never flushed. (Mother-in-law’s car) I poured in Prestone cleaner, and drove around for over an hour with heater on. The old green coolant came out dark yellow! No rust, just aluminum oxide. I rinsed it with clean water, then refilled it with leftover AMAM Peak and Prestone.

Last edited:
08 Chevy Colorado I5, 88k miles
Drained by pulling the lower rad hose, removed the plastic overflow and rinsed it, filled w Prestone Dexcool and distilled water 50/50. The old coolant looked like the new one going in. Unknown miles / time on the old dexcool

2008 Hyundai Accent w 156k miles, changed the t-stat which dumped most of the coolant. Gallon Farm and Fleet Long Life Universal (Peak). It was just change and flushed last summer too with all new hoses. But I went to a 190F t-stat vs the OE 180F because Polar Vortex this December.

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS, 1.8L

Out: Hyundai OEM Long Life Coolant
In: Hyundai OEM Long Life Coolant

50/50 mix (50% coolant/50% distilled water)

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L

Out: Motorcraft Gold Coolant
In: Prestone AMAM Extended Life Coolant

50/50 mix (50% coolant/50% distilled water)

2010 Impala:

Drain/fill only ~ 1 gallon total

Out: I assumed FF but it looked clean, so hard to tell?

In: O'Reilly Dexcool and distilled water.

114,540 miles.

2006 Volvo xc90 5 cyl turbo. 58000 mi in 9 years
Changed 9 2017.
Complete fluid change. Factory fill out. Pentafrost NF in. Mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

A good FYI project.
TOMB

1995 Fiat Coupe turbo

Out: Zerex G-05 - 4 years, drained clean and clear.
OEM coolant was just conventional however BASF recommend G-48 for this model
In: Full flush and filled with Castrol Radicool (4 year HOAT)

Last edited:
2010 Honda Odyssey LX

I had the timing belt and water pump replaced so I decided it was a good time to flush the cooling system as well. I have service records from the first owner and don’t see it ever having been done.

Out: Factory Honda coolant
In: Zerex Asian Vehicle Blue 50/50 Premixed Antifreeze

2013 Hyundai Elantra, 103K

Out: Factory Fill
In: Motorcraft Specialty Green Engine Coolant, but I was a little bit short. So I used Nissan Long Life Green to make up the difference.

I replaced both upper and lower hoses on our 09 Sonata as we were going from Lincoln to Fargo last week and the upper and lower hoses had some minor cracks so did not want to risk almost 10 year old hoses on a 1000 mile RT in high heat conditions. Drained and put on new upper and lower and refilled with what I have always used, Peak Long Life, about $12.00 per gallon. Store did not have 50/50 mix so I bough some distilled water, so good for 5 years now.

Did a dump and fill on the trans in the 2008 Santa Fe today, so went ahead and drain/filled the coolant too. 191,940 miles. Out with a gallon of Kia green and in with a gallon of Kia green and distilled water at 50/50. Coolant looks perfect coming out, perfect color and no trash. But it’s been drain/filled a couple times in my ownership.

Last edited:
Mid month I replaced the t stat on my Trailbazer. I drained the rad and then what ever came out of the block when the t stat came out.

Out was a mix of original Dexcool with a partial change done in 2013 with Dexcool.

In: Prestone Dexcool. Approx. 7 liters total.

Back