ZDDP additive for early 70's car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a car from the early 70's with the original engine and about 85,000 miles. I picked up some standard SN conventional 10w-30 and I'm wondering if there's an additive that could boost the ZDDP levels a bit. I know they have specialty oils for this, but I only drive the car maybe 200 miles a year and I really hate dumping expensive oil with so few miles on it. I was thinking of buying a bottle of redline engine break in additive and just using a couple ounces per oil change. Would that boost the ZDDP enough without causing any other problems? Any other products that would boost the ZDDP without being too expensive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Remember that episode of gas monkey where the zddp additive didn't work?

No, but I remember where they didn't use a break in oil with lots of zinc and lost the engine.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Most parts stores will sell a bottle of ZDDP, should be an easy find.

I did a search on all of the major parts store websites and they have no results for ZDDP additive. I know STP claims to have ZDDP but I don't know how much. Can anyone recommend a particular brand? I would prefer not to spend a ton of money on specialty oil if all I need is zinc that can come from an additive.

The perfect oil for you is Castrol Edge 0W40. It's a full SAPS oil with over 1100 PPM of ZINC, is thin for fast oil circulation which is ideal for old vehicles that sit for long periods between start ups and is thick engine to protect and combat fuel dilution common with people who own garage queens.

I googled "ZDDP additives". Many products available from Amazon, Walmart, and Advanced Auto Parts to name a few.

Rislone makes one that is priced the lowest of the products that I have found. Amazon currently has it as an add on for $5.34.Concentrated so you can use more of your regular oil.

From Rislone..With typical SN rated oil at a 7% dosage rate expect levels to be raised to a total of Zn Zinc 1700 - 1800 ppm P Phosphorous 1500 - 1600 ppm
Good price is it is strong enough for your needs
Rislone

Thanks for the advice everybody. I already bought the oil and filter before making this post (wix filter and harvest king 10w-30 conventional) so i decided to go with the rislone instead of going with an entirely different oil. I'll consider some of the other suggestions the next time around though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back