Anybody switch to synthetic gear oil and get more RPMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple people have told me that if I switch to something like Amsoil lower unit lube I could gain a couple hundred RPMs at WOT on my Mercury 1500. Has anybody gone from dino to synthetic and noticed this increase? How many RPMs could it give me?

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
A couple people have told me that if I switch to something like Amsoil lower unit lube I could gain a couple hundred RPMs at WOT on my Mercury 1500. Has anybody gone from dino to synthetic and noticed this increase? How many RPMs could it give me?

I have seen testimonials that said 200 more rpms with the series 2000 75w90. I have also seen the same 200 more rpms on the top end with the premix racing oil.

I do not own a boat so I can't try the test myself to verify.

You might see 100 rpms more at full throttle, depending on the condition of the gear lube that is in their. The synthetic two stroke oils will definitely give you more top end speed, generally on the order of 100-200 rpms compared to a petroleum based, TC-W3 oil ....

The preferred gear lube for the lower unit is the 80w-90 marine oil. This is a GL-4 chemistry with a reduced level of sulphur and phosphorus. Sulphur/phosphorus and water don't mix very well, hence a GL-5 oil is "contra-indicated", as they say.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

The combination of the Amsoil gear lube and the Injector oil gave me almost 300 RPM @ WOT, on my Merc 150, which caused me to make a prop change (which I needed anyway) that with trim tabs gave me a 8 MPH increase in top end speed on my 18' Bass Boat.

quote:

Originally posted by Hasbeen:
The combination of the Amsoil gear lube and the Injector oil gave me almost 300 RPM @ WOT, on my Merc 150, which caused me to make a prop change (which I needed anyway) that with trim tabs gave me a 8 MPH increase in top end speed on my 18' Bass Boat.

Which gear lube and which 2-stroke oil? Was this the gl4 lower end lube and the regular injector oil?

Yes!

offtopic.gif

I`m also going to try the Militec oil additive in the engine also, After discussing this with the owner of the company for an extended period of time, I`m convinced that there will be no harm, and I beleive there will be some added performance and protection.

I`m also using the GTA Fuel enhancer with great results. The engine sonds better, and the exhaust dosn`t smell as strong, also there is almost no smokeing, even less than with the Amsoil injector oil alone, Very impresive product in my opinion.

Sorry for being so far off topic

Added 150...200 RPM in Honda personal watercraft when I switched out Honda Factory fill GN4 oil to Redline 10W-40 (4 stroke PWC.) Have 2 Honda R12X; same result in both. No BS (or exag...)

quote:

Originally posted by 4 Fun:
Added 150...200 RPM in Honda personal watercraft when I switched out Honda Factory fill GN4 oil to Redline 10W-40 (using in 4 stroke PWC.) Have 2 Honda R12X; same result in both. No BS (or exag...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back