High Lead Redline 5W40 thoughts? Ty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Don't panic. This is the chemistry of Redline doing work. The first run of Redline is always a bit crazy as the esters do a lot of things other oils don't. This is from the leaching. If you want to see how Redline really works for you, then i would run it for consecutive OCIs and then sample again on third OCI (this one being the first).

Can you please explain what this leaching is? And, I plan on at least 3 OCIs.

Redline is not an oil you want to switch to, switch from, switch to, etc. You will only get the best from it if you keep running it w/out mixing with other oils. If you can't stick with redline, don't waste the time.

Good luck.

PS: Do not use additives with Redline. Its chemistry is too different with all the esters and the add pack within redline has to be designed to specifically work with the high polarity of the ester base stock.

Can you please explain what leaching is in this context?

Agreed! I didn't have a bottle of redline readily accessible at the time. Lesson learned!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Quote:
Good point, our data shows 2 to 32 ppm silicon on fresh Redline, depending on formula. The 5w-30 seems to have less of the soft metals showing spectrographically clean.

To answer your question, Redline seems to clean up residual softe metals that have bonded to the surfaces and crannies of a engine that has used other brands. In the past many (myself included) were concerned that RL was causing increased wear.
I am convinced after 3 years of testing that it is not a problem but cleaning.

A treatment of Auto-RX prior to using RL seems to limit this effect. Other more traditional solvents don't seem to clean down this deep before volatizing off leaving the imbedded residuals.

Search this site for more data.

Terry

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=51602

Awesome! Thank you badtlc. That quote put it in a better context. My truck doesn't have the lifter tick with this oil. However; the oil has never needed to be topped off in 24 years either. So, I will just monitor it.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back