Truck Lug Nut Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see trucks with spikes sticking out from their lug nuts more and more. It reminds me of the kinds of things that cars on Speed Racer had to cut into competitors' tires. How are these things legal?

Originally Posted By: ET16
I see trucks with spikes sticking out from their lug nuts more and more. It reminds me of the kinds of things that cars on Speed Racer had to cut into competitors' tires. How are these things legal?

Wondered that too … and past one late night that had more colored lights than the National Christmas tree … could hardly see beyond him …

Originally Posted By: Chris142
They are just plastic lug nut covers. They just pull off with your fingers.

Did not know. All show and no go?

What's kinda interesting is when you see a guardrail with a series of gouges in them, and you realize that someone (big truck?) rubbed up against it, and it was the lugnuts cutting those gouges.

Are you sure they are all plastic or just some of them.

Remind me of gladiator movies when the wheels had these used for weapons and could behead or lop off limbs

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Are you sure they are all plastic or just some of them.

Remind me of gladiator movies when the wheels had these used for weapons and could behead or lop off limbs
Some are very soft tin. Regardless they just fall off when they rub something.

There is a non PC name for them truckers call them that I'm not going to post here. I'd be banned.

Oh Chris 142...the poor, picked-on Deplorable.
Let me tell you something.

If a name is dirty (ban worthy) it leaves PC/non PC questions in the dust.

If you accurize your vocabulary your brain will get smarter.

Originally Posted By: supton
What's kinda interesting is when you see a guardrail with a series of gouges in them, and you realize that someone (big truck?) rubbed up against it, and it was the lugnuts cutting those gouges.

How could you possibly know lug nuts are what created a random gouge in a guard rail? It could have been anything...

The spiked nuts have to be easily removable, otherwise how would you get a socket over them?

Originally Posted By: OilFilters

How could you possibly know lug nuts are what created a random gouge in a guard rail? It could have been anything...

Surprisingly I can't find a good photo of it. But look at the diagonal marks below. I've seen them extend ten, twenty feet on a guardrail. Very visible once rust sets in.

Surprisingly I can't find a good photo of it. But look at the diagonal marks below. I've seen them extend ten, twenty feet on a guardrail. Very visible once rust sets in.

What does that have to do with anything? There is no evidence what so ever this is caused by lug nuts. Total WAG by yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back