Trying to fix chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a decent looking chainsaw at the dump. It looks to have some spark looking at the plug grounded to the head, but wont even pop at all trying to start it on starting fluid sprayed into the plug hole and into the carb.

I'm confounded. The only thing I can think of is the magneto sheared the key. I'm almost ready to put this back in the trash. Thought there might be someone here who's good with small engines.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Milwaukee is coming out with a 18V chainsaw shortly...

I already have 2 120v chainsaws that I really like but society says I can't be a real man unless I have a gas powered one. Can you imagine how metrosexual I'd look with a battery operated one?

Yes it has some yellow colored spark. Can't tell if it looks strong enough but you'd think it would hit a couple of pops if not start. I also closed the spark gap on the plug a little to help the spark out.

The manly way to test the coil is...

Spark plug removed and ignition on. Hold the spark wire in your hand while touching the head with the side of your hand. Hold the saw down with your harry chest and pull the rope with your free hand. Should feel a good jolt. If unsure, try the same thing with your lawn mower for comparison.

The spark should be bright blue..not yellow. Suggest you not contine to use starting fluid, it does not contain oil and if it does fire, you will score the piston walls. It take 80 lbs of compression for a saw to run. There is a multitude of reasons that saw won't run. Tell me the brand and how many cc it is and I will tell you if it's worth your time or money to fix it. I own 30 saws and fix and resell for a hobby.

Its a homelite 14 inch bar. Its not worth it I know, I just don't like to get stumped.

Seems to have good compression as the pull cord has decent resistance.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Milwaukee is coming out with a 18V chainsaw shortly...

Yes. But it's $400 and it includes a very high capaciy battery. Not sure it will be sold "tool alone".

I just picked up a Ryobi 10" with battery and charger for $120. It is exactly what I need for limbing and scrub trees.

But I have two 20" gas powered ones for larger trees.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
When my Husqvarna 20 inch saw died, it was due to fuel line and carburetor issues caused by ethanol 10 fuel. Wasn't worth fixing.

So you threw it in the trash?

If I found that on the side of the road and a gummed up carb id swear it was christmas!

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I picked up a decent looking chainsaw at the dump.

Make and model would be very helpful

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
When my Husqvarna 20 inch saw died, it was due to fuel line and carburetor issues caused by ethanol 10 fuel. Wasn't worth fixing.

If I found that on the side of the road and a gummed up carb i'd swear it was Christmas!

Same here!!!

unless it is one of the 200 series (240, etc.) Those were garbage - just orange colored Poulans

If I found that on the side of the road and a gummed up carb id swear it was christmas!

Just take the carb apart and clean it. Not rocket science.

When gas evaporates it leaves goo. When alcohol evaporates it leaves nothing. I don't know why ethanol gets blamed for everything.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

When gas evaporates it leaves goo. When alcohol evaporates it leaves nothing. I don't know why ethanol gets blamed for everything.

It's hydrophilic.

Me too. I have two chainsaws going on Letgo today that people tossed and in about an hour they were running. I wasn't as lucky with a Troy line trimmer, I ended up tossing it, the connecting rod was bent, and the cylinder shot.

Even if it’s sparking when unscrewed, first step with a troublesome engine is replace the spark plug with a new NGK plug. For a few dollars you eliminate one potential problem.

Good luck with it, I like fixing free stuff even if it ends up costing too much in the end.

Might be fuel lines rotted out by ethanol gas; thats what happened to my Poulon. Has to be torn completely apart to replace two cheap lines, one in the fuel tank. Been laying in shed for year and will probably go to same place you found yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back