Windows 10 Update, version 1803

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third time the charm. Update failed twice in last month or so, it went back to previous build both times. Didn't think it would work today, but success. Takes awhile to complete.

One negative, every major Windows 10 update, lose sound. Happened enough now that I basically know what to do. First time it happened took awhile to figure out. This fix works on an HP desktop.

"Go to the device manager and click to expand the Sound, video and game controllers device category.

1. Select the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under that category.
2. Select Driver tab.
3. Click on Update Driver... button.
4. Select -> Browse my computer for driver software.
5. Select -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
6. Select High Definition Audio Device (Not IDT High Def... this is important.) and click Next.
A warning message may appear, but click Yes.*
7. Windows has successfully updated your driver software.
8. Restart the PC.
The key is step 6."

Warning message in step 6, click YES.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Au...te/td-p/6392645

Originally Posted By: earthworm
I have a very low opinion of Microsoft , is Linox(sp) improving ?
Do they actually LISTEN ??

Never had any trouble with Linux, other than Ubuntu 14.04 was a bit heavy for a very old machine. Went to a lighter distro-- no problems. Looking forward to installing Ubuntu Mate when 18.04.1 comes out. Windows is but a dim, unpleasant, memory.

MS has become very intrusive and downright sneaky.
The talk about them interfering with sound is everywhere. Another post.
I've got a Win10 box specifically setup for music playback. Got it where I wanted it and locked it in to no updates. Darn thing worked fine for about 3 months, then blew up after it turned updates back on through a security suite virus definition download. I just want it to be the backbone, not take control of anything else. That's why I paid for pretty sophisticated music suite.
I'll likely stick the music playback on a Linux load soon. At least I can keep that under control.

Last edited:
Nice job trouble-shooting, OP. Sucks that some have to do this. I've admittedly been lucky so far.

I have W10 running on multiple rigs, none of which have had any issues. All except the last laptop listed below originally came with a version of Windows other than W10, and had to be updated.

1. Old gaming PC with 1st-gen Nehalem core i7 and AMD HD5850 GPU (our daily productivity PC)
2. My old netbook with a weak-as-heck AMD E-350 APU
-----purchased at ~ same time as the above PC
3. Wife's Sony laptop with 3rd-gen Ivybridge core i5
4. My new CyberPowerPC laptop with 6th-gen Skylake i7 and GTX-970M GPU

With all of that said, I've had one hard-drive failure (#1 above, a few years ago) and I installed fresh, clean installs of W10 when the free upgrade was made available. I then manually searched for drivers, if easy to find, before letting Windows do its thing.

Also noteworthy: I loaded Linux Mint onto a flash drive and booted to it on PC #1 above that had the HDD failure. It turned out, that only the OS portion of the drive had corrupted, and I was able to pull everything of value off the drive. I didn't have a USB-to-SATA adapter at the time, and was able to figure out how to setup a Linux boot drive in a couple of hours - I was amazed at how easy it was!

Last edited:
This is the Windows update that screwed up many PCs with a SSD. Mine included. A few weeks after the release MS blocked it from installing on the SSD PCs where it would cause a problem. I backed off mine. Then paused updates for 6 weeks.

Originally Posted By: Donald
This is the Windows update that screwed up many PCs with a SSD. Mine included. A few weeks after the release MS blocked it from installing on the SSD PCs where it would cause a problem. I backed off mine. Then paused updates for 6 weeks.

Interesting. My PC and all three laptops have SSDs of different makes. No issues.

If you have developed and follow a set of best security practices, you are better off not allowing Win10 to update than allowing it to.

There's an old saying, "If it isn't broke don't fix it." So-called security experts will claim your P will implode if you don't subject yourself to updates, but when carefully questioned about it, all their claims depend on some other security problem, not the windows flaw itself. Windows doesn't go out and get things to run by itself to cause you any problems, only the user, OR WINDOWS UPDATES do.

I'm not going to debate this because it is an oil/automotive forum not a security forum, where those to claim to know better would take pages and pages to argue, as would I. Just know that many people do not update Win10 and are much happier not doing so. If you are a highly desirable target and highly skilled hackers are actively attacking you left and right, well you wouldn't run windows at all then...

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: earthworm
I have a very low opinion of Microsoft , is Linox(sp) improving ?
Do they actually LISTEN ??

Who is "they"?

M$ lol

After having feature updates break certain programs I set the deferred date to 1 year. By then I just do a fresh install.

Many people don’t update for some reason, such as a hardware issue, negligence or ignorance. I’ve never heard of anyone neglecting to update for security reasons.

IME, those who have security issues are usually those who never update any of their software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back