Brake fluid for a '03 Volvo S60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volvo's spec is DOT 4 + As I recall, silicon based fluid is for racing and otherwise , "not recommended" . I will change the old fluid using my gravity method . This is long OVERDUE !! What is the newer spec " DOT 5.1" ?

Pentosin Super Dot 4 meets this spec. I've used it for years Wong with Ate SL. Do not use Dot 5 silicone fluid. Your system is not designed for it.

Sam

Last edited:
Yes, 5.1.
It's wonderful
coffee2.gif

DOT 5.1 and ATE Type 200/Super Blue are roughly the same thing - a glycol-based fluid with high dry/wet boiling points. It's easier to get the ATE stuff than DOT 5.1 which only Motul, Wagner(and Ford), Bel-Ray and Sikolene tend to carry. Mercedes and Volvo called for DOT 4 Super.

DOT 4 LV is the latest spec with the Europeans and now Ford/GM is calling for it - available as ATE SL and Pentosin DOT 4 LV. It's backwards compatible with standard viscosity DOT 3/4 and it's close to Type 200/DOT 5.1's boiling points. It's a thinner fluid which may make your brakes feel more responsive - and even improve how your ABS/ESP systems work. I've used it in two cars that called for DOT 3 and I've felt a difference for the better.

Originally Posted By: nthach
DOT 5.1 and ATE Type 200/Super Blue are roughly the same thing - a glycol-based fluid with high dry/wet boiling points. It's easier to get the ATE stuff than DOT 5.1 which only Motul, Wagner(and Ford), Bel-Ray and Sikolene tend to carry. Mercedes and Volvo called for DOT 4 Super.

DOT 4 LV is the latest spec with the Europeans and now Ford/GM is calling for it - available as ATE SL and Pentosin DOT 4 LV. It's backwards compatible with standard viscosity DOT 3/4 and it's close to Type 200/DOT 5.1's boiling points. It's a thinner fluid which may make your brakes feel more responsive - and even improve how your ABS/ESP systems work. I've used it in two cars that called for DOT 3 and I've felt a difference for the better.

Always wondered about the LV, I'll have to try it sometime.

Originally Posted By: earthworm
Volvo's spec is DOT 4 + As I recall, silicon based fluid is for racing and otherwise , "not recommended" . I will change the old fluid using my gravity method . This is long OVERDUE !! What is the newer spec " DOT 5.1" ?

Hope you got some time on your hands, yikes. Tried it once, never again.

Thanks for the reply I may well choose Pentosin DOT 5.1 .. available at Rock Auto Parts .. Ace hardware is also a good place .. Walmart, Pep, AZ, Advance have too many weaknesses ..

Inspection and tire rotation with the simultaneous purging of old brake fluid ... An operation which is so fast, a man must step lively and with purpose ... I hope this works as well with the Volvo ... It did not work well with the PT Cruiser, I had to use a HF pressure bleeder and 5 plus liter of brake fluid .. I even had to filter and reuse brake fluid !
Miss the Saab 900ng .

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: earthworm

Hope you got some time on your hands, yikes. Tried it once, never again.

For the DIYer, the Motive Products Power Bleeder rocks.

I've never understood the need for anything more than a piece of hose and a bottle. Hose from bleed valve into bottle, pump brakes, check reservoir, repeat. What's the advantage of other bleeding tools?

Oh, yes, DOT 4. Having had 3 S60s, I just use whatever is at the store. They have well-designed brakes and mine haven't required anything special.

-m

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back