Toyota brand conventional (TGMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with this oil or any detailed knowledge? I see a lot of reviews and uao with tgmo synthetic bUT not much regarding the conventional. Local dealer sells it for 2.88 a quart.

Didn't know they made a conventional.

Last I knew, TGMO was good stuff--but nothing that special. Good, but not worth a premium. At least for synthetic.

Price doesn't seem bad, I mean, I can go to Walmart and get 5 quarts of conventional for $12. $2.88 is more expensive, and if you can time the sales I bet you can get name brand for cheaper. Or even name brand synthetic. But if you need it "now", and you're at the dealer, I don't see that it's a big deal.

FWIW I buy my Toyota filters online. Been a couple of years but back then I could get a box of ten for $40 shipped. I think last time I looked they were cheaper. YMMV.

No, I have no experience with "TGMO" ... that is a good price though, comparable to Chevron/Havoline conventional which are very good also.

I'd be willing to wager the TGMO is re-branded conventional Valvoline or Castrol GTX... or PYB. Isn't speculation fun?
laugh.gif

I looked at the voa for the conventional on pqia. Its from 2012 but the add pack looks similar to mobil super 5000 (titanium as an additive). Pretty sure ExxonMobil makes it now.

Originally Posted By: Jaha24k
I looked at the voa for the conventional on pqia. Its from 2012 but the add pack looks similar to mobil super 5000 (titanium as an additive). Pretty sure ExxonMobil makes it now.

Castrol and Kendall are the titanium guys

Anyone have experience with this oil or any detailed knowledge? I see a lot of reviews and uao with tgmo synthetic bUT not much regarding the conventional. Local dealer sells it for 2.88 a quart.

I have experience with the conventional TGMO, 5w30 and 5w20. It's ok, but it was shearing (thinning) out while my scion was stored! Not good. They did have an earlier formula which PQIA is showing in 2012. That version was great, but since then they have changed. I'd look at something else if I were you. It was good at one time, but Mobil makes it for Toyota and they (in my opinion and my UOA's) have gone cheap with the base stock oil.

You can look at my UOA's it didn't cause any odd wear, I just didn't like how thin it sheared down to.

EDIT:
Here is my Civic UOA.. To find the TGMO, look for the columns/results that have Titanium in them.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...astrol_GTX_Ultr

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mx5miata

yup and Mobil has had Titanium as an additive for awhile now.

Originally Posted By: researcher
Originally Posted By: mx5miata

yup and Mobil has had Titanium as an additive for awhile now.

Valvoline as well since last fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back