Changed Speedo Gear on 700r4 Tailshaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the speedo in my 51 Chevy was off and after research, I decided I needed to change the gear on the tail shaft on the 700r4. So, after getting the correct color gears, I took on the project. Monday night I did the swap in roughly an hour and a half. That included removing the drive shaft and tail housing, swapping the gear, and then putting everything back together. The initial test run was perfect, the speedo was spot on. Yay me! But then it quit all together. After some further research, I determined the I had installed the gear on the shaft with the clip backwards and most likely it had spun off. Yesterday I opened it all up and sure enough, that is what happened. Reinstalled the gear with the clip in the correct way and everything works perfectly. Total time for round #2 was 30 minutes. Amazing how much faster a job gets done after you've done it once before.

I was following a video from Monster Transmission and they apparently put their clips on backwards from stock. Lesson learned and saved myself quite a bit of time and change doing the job myself.

Last edited:
It’s good it was an easy fix. I hate doing things over again. I had to pull the bed off my truck three times. First time was to replace a fuel tank/pump combo and just a fuel pump on the second tank. Turns out the seal wasn’t sealing on the pump I installed. Pulled it off again and sealed it up right. Then same fuel pump failed. Pulled it off again and replaced pump. I’ve gotten pretty good at pulling that bed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back