Silicon Lubricant instead of WD-40 or CRC 656

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to use WD40 or CRC 656 for years on my old Johnson. About once a month I would take off the cowling and spray the engine down, wires and all, to protect from corrosion. After a couple of years, the spark plug wires and rubber boots would get brittle and crack. I read on a boating forum to use a silicon spray instead, that it would not harm the rubber on your engine. I have been using CRC Silicon spray on my current Johnson for the last three years, and the engine is spotless, with no rubber cracking. I don't know if some of you guys already do this, but if not, give it a try. -Joe

I've tried several types of cleaners/ preservatives/ lubricants on my farm machinery. Including WD-40, Fluid Film, Silicon, graphite spray and Mobil 1 spray lubricant.

The best I've found is the Mobil 1. Does all that silicon does and does not seem to attact dirt in any way.

I have been tempted to try the Amsoil regular duty metal protector. Looks like it puts down a dry wax like film that will not attract dirt or degrade rubber or neoprene.

The Fluid Film and WD-40 were both dirt magnets.

Although the Fluid Film ( I got mine at a John Deere dealership ) is really great to pretreat your mower deck for easy clean-up of grass clippings.

Even then graphite spray keeps the grass from sticking to start with so no clean-up is needed. Be wary of graphite spray it conducts electric current readily and stains every thing it touches including you.

I'd like to get my hands on a couple of cans of mobil spray lubricant, but it seems that it is almost impossible to get here in europe...
Does anyone have an european address for me where I can get it??

tnx
John

Neil,

AMSOIL's Heavy Duty Metal Protector is the one that leaves the waxy film. It will lubricate and will not attract dirt. Makes a great undercoat, as well as bicycle chain lube and cable dressing.

The regular MP is wonderful for all things marine. I had my dad do some testing one one of his salt water fishing trips (lives in Florida, fishes in the Gulf). He's a weldor and has lots of steel around the garage. He coated some steel and hung them in the water off the side of the boat. The WD40 and silicon spray were rusty in just over an hour. The steel coated with the regular MP had no rust and still had the film after a full day. Highly recommended!

My wife yelled at me again today...I used MP on the bedroom and bathroom door hinges...she hates slamming doors when the baby's sleeping... My 3-in-one oil, WD40, and silicon spray stay on the shelf.

Andy

Wd 4o will have negative effects on rubber. I like amsoil mp, but its expensive. Mobil 1 is also good, and is a little bit cheaper than Amsoil.

I will admit to buying WD-40 for use as a mild cleaning agent
wink.gif
...but a lube or penetrant or protective coating....noway.

I use PB Blaster, Maltby MAX and Kano Kroil as penetrants.

For thick coatings I use the Amsoil MP HD, (and the reg MP for medium) and for light coating I use the Amsoil Silicone spray (works really great in window tracks of "modern" windows)

EDIT: The big drawback of course with silcones are the future painting of said or nearby surfaces.

[ January 04, 2003, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

I've never used any of the Amsoil products but I have (unfortunately) used plenty of WD-40. No one knows how lousy this stuff is ... until you use soemthing else ... probably anything else.

I also have a can of Slick 50 1-lube. I hate this brand but the can was cheap and now I need to use it up ... so I apply liberally.
wink.gif

For a penetrant, I can't imagine anything being better than PB Blaster. I changed the 02 sensor on my 7 year old Civic a year ago and it came out with ease. It wasn't quite finger-loose after a few applications ... but it was close.
grin.gif

I have a can of Valvoline Synpower spray lubricant and that stuff works really well as a GP lube. I also like Remington's spray teflon lube if you want a dry lube ... one that doesn't "walk" too much.

For misc lube jobs around the house, I like to save eye drops bottles and fill them up with various lubes. ATF makes a pretty versatile little household lubricant .. but it can be a little smelly. If the application is more severe (roller bushings on a vacuum cleaner is one example) I use a drop or two of Red Line MTL.
wink.gif

These small bottles of lube cost practically nothing and you can keep bottles in several convenient locations.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by joee12:
I used to use WD40 or CRC 656 for years on my old Johnson. About once a month I would take off the cowling and spray the engine down, wires and all, to protect from corrosion. After a couple of years, the spark plug wires and rubber boots would get brittle and crack. I read on a boating forum to use a silicon spray instead, that it would not harm the rubber on your engine. I have been using CRC Silicon spray on my current Johnson for the last three years, and the engine is spotless, with no rubber cracking. I don't know if some of you guys already do this, but if not, give it a try. -Joe

I use CRC Silicon spray on my entire engine to clean it after being out on the water. It prevents corrosion and makes cleaning all my powdercoated parts easy to wipe of and it takes the water spots off.

I use any old silicone spray I find cheap and never seem to have any
problems. I won't touch all these expensive mystery products. Who
know what might be in them. Some of the speculation I have seen
here on WD-40 scares me. It it doesn't say what it is, I leave it on the shelf.

Blano,

Do you realize you just said something nice about an Amsoil product? Must be a full moon or something ...
wink.gif

BTW, I don't know how much spray lube you go through, but you can get MP in one gallon metal cans and put it in spray bottles. I had a commercial account that used to put up earth station antennas and that's what they did ...

TooSlick

Credit where credit is do. FWIW I just undercoated my truck with amoil HD metal protectant also. Funny thing is I stumbled on to both products at a out of the way gas station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back