Along for the ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many times I've been mowing the lawn or standing in the outfield during a baseball or softball game being harassed by bugs when the sweet sound of dragonfly wings chased all the nasties away.

My daughter just told me that she killed a dragonfly that landed on her recently...I told her she'd best not do that again, they're our friends.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
That's not as bad as having a spider drop down between you and the steering wheel, as has happened to me.

I noticed something on my shirt while I was on the highway. It was a big spider about the size of half dollar, like a mini tarantula. Don't know how it got there, but I kept driving til a breakdown lane appeared and I just opened the door and flicked it out. I was nervous for a few seconds while waiting for a break down lane to appear. Watched it crawl up my shirt a few more steps. No idea how it got there, must have been in the car when I got in. I had only been driving for a few minutes.

Cold-blooded killers is what they are, and I love them. We live on a pond and see them regularly. Once in a while we get a swarm that are eating something that has just hatched and I love walking out into the swirling swarm just to see them buzzing around.

If they thought they could take you down they would
smile.gif

Awesome dragonfly! They seem to be very rare,as are lightning bugs. They used to be all over the place when I was a kid. Where did they all go?

Years ago on my paper route....a lady with a smashed up face (bandages, areas of deep bruising)

"What happened to you?", I asked.

"There was a bee on my dashboard. I swatted it with a newspaper. I didn't want to bring it across my body to throw it out my window so I leaned over to throw it out the passenger's side window."

As she leaned over she took the steering wheel with her and smashed into a tree.

What a dippy-doo, I thought.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Cold-blooded killers is what they are, and I love them. We live on a pond and see them regularly. Once in a while we get a swarm that are eating something that has just hatched and I love walking out into the swirling swarm just to see them buzzing around.
If they thought they could take you down they would
smile.gif

I was mowing the lawn a while back and one of those little white moths that loves to hide in the grass came fluttering up. Then I heard the thrumming of a dragonfly and it grabbed the moth, ate its body, and tossed the wings aside in a flash...I watched the little wings flutter back down to the lawn and was a bit awestruck.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Awesome dragonfly! They seem to be very rare,as are lightning bugs. They used to be all over the place when I was a kid. Where did they all go?

Still lots of dragonflies around here, I would guess that rampant insecticide use would affect dragonflies disproportionately since they are such voracious predators of other bugs. I still see lots of fireflies, but not as many as maybe 20 years ago...my wife has pointed out that bat sightings in our yard have become very rare, they used to be all over the place around dusk. It's been on the news a lot about how badly the bat population is suffering, which is a very bad thing for anybody who lives in a buggy area like us...lots of trees and marshy ground in our vicinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back