PQIA: RAVENOL DXG FULLSYNTH 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The presence of sodium plus higher calcium than other oils in this class make me wonder if this is suitable for combating LSPI.

Yes, in some SAE papers, this is dicussed. It's posted on bitog somewhere but I'm having difficulty finding it.

Low end hot viscosity, but Noack is nice and low.

Yeah PimTac Wemay is right about that phenomenon.

I saw this test result yesterday and I was like holy cow
shocked2.gif

That is a great NOACK number. In old school Pennzoil Ultra territory.

This thread is a happy coincidence for me as I have 7 liters of DXG on the shelf about to be used. I was second guessing my choice because of lack of independent information on this oil, having only the RAVENOL data sheet to go by. Vehicle is a new 2018 4Runner. I am wanting to use a lite 5w-30 or possibly 0w-30. Per this PQIA test the DXG seems acceptable being even a little lighter than the RAVENOL data sheet claims.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The presence of sodium plus higher calcium than other oils in this class make me wonder if this is suitable for combating LSPI.

The latest version of this oil is dexos1 Gen 2, but I'd guess this is probably the older dexos1 version.
I was a bit surprised by the low viscosity at 100C, but it really wouldn't bother me as long as the HTHS is reasonable...I am also surpised that the PQIA looked at this oil at all, not exactly the dollar/convenience store Brand X stuff that consumers might have to watch out for.
Thanks to the OPer for sharing!

Looked it up, Ravenol says the HTHS is 3.1...one could argue that this is a good gas mileage oil given that the HTHS is pretty solid for SN/GF5 while the 100C (roughly normal operating temp) viscosity is low. The manufacturer also claims a still outstanding NOACK loss of 6% for the d1G2 version.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Extremely impressive Noack figure!
thumbsup2.gif

Very nice

This oil, like some other Ravenol oils, uses tungsten as an additional additive. It is also designed to mitigate LSPI.

Interesting, thanks. Do you know if the Tungsten is specially for that purpose?

I just ordered a jug of this for my Fusion. Should be interesting to see a UOA since I've got 100k of UOAs on PP/PUP xW20s to compare it against. This is the first xW30 that has really caught my eye, picked up the 5L jug for $39.99!

Originally Posted By: wemay

I should have made my post more clear. The only information I have is from Ravenol's product page on this oil. Tungsten is not specifically mentioned as being related to LSPI, it's just mentioned as one of the additives used.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: wemay

I should have made my post more clear. The only information I have is from Ravenol's product page on this oil. Tungsten is not specifically mentioned as being related to LSPI, it's just mentioned as one of the additives used.

Got it, thanks.

Surprising how PQIA would pick an obsolete-spec oil. This is the old dexos1 Gen1 version, not the current Gen2 one.
Same mistake they made earlier this year when they even took an old-stock AC-Delco dexos1 Gen1 oil and tested it. Hasn't anyone told them that those aren't being produced anymore? http://pqiadata.org/ACDelco_0W20.html for the other mistake, note its GM's own Gen1 oil!

It is interesting that the old Ravenol DXG was high-Ca and high-Na, like our Valvoline was in Gen1. Valvoline was forced to drop the Na completely, and I predict Ravenol DXG dexos1 Gen2 will have almost no Na as well. Ravenol does make great oil, but if you want LSPI-resistant sauce, opt for the one in production right now....

PQIA does follow a chain of custody procedure in their testing. Note that this bottle was purchased almost three months ago. I'm sure I could still find dexos1 Generation 1 oils on the shelves here without too much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back