1979 Nova with 25 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I went to the Lambrecht Auto auction in Pierce NE a few years back. A man started a Chevy dealership after WWII. If he didn't sell a new car and next year's came out he would put it in storage as well as all trades. There were many cars with under 20 miles on them including a Vette. Auction netted about $6m.Amazing once in a lifetime event. Google it!

Last edited:
My Uncles wife had the same one but a brown one. The 6 cylinder in hers ran great, super reliable but rust caught up with it and she could no longer get it inspected annually here in Pennsylvania -- that was about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Total pieces of doo doo.After 16 years of production,the unibody on those (especially the hatchbacks) was very flexible.Seems like GM didn't do anything to improve them.The aged design lagged newer more space efficient designs like Volare/Aspen and Fairmont.Amongst compacts,Chrysler's Dart/Valiant was superior,but the lowly Maverick was just horrid.AMCs Hornet could have been a contender...but..

Having driven a few of these in four door Camaro suspension tune (F-41 Sport Suspension, a cheap option that transformed this car and the large B-body as well) with real engines, I have to disagree.
My family owned a late seventies Volare as a college car shared by my sisters and it was no more "space efficient" than the four door Nova we had of similar vintage. The Nova was also faster and had better ride and handling than the Volare. The Fairmont was a far more modern design, but the Chrysler Aspen/Volare twins were little more than re-warmed and re-bodied Valiants, a car that was never anything special and had no power at all with the cherished Slant Six.

A guy I worked with was still driving one of these in the early 2000's, and I still see them on occasion.

I bet the paint is still good under all that dirt since it wasn't exposed to the elements.

The pictures looks a few years old based on the poor resolution, I'd love to know what the outcome was.

1979 emissions control systems might have been the worst ever. No microprocessors in GM cars until 1981 did that.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I would own that car in a heartbeat for the right price!

Any links to the story?

Unfortunately not. It was posted in one of my car groups with no other information other than the year and mileage. I tried searching to find out more about it with no success.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
1979 emissions control systems might have been the worst ever. No microprocessors in GM cars until 1981 did that.

IDK, I remember that the 1975 MY intro of catalytic converters and electronic ignition allowed better tuning with improved drivability, performance and fuel economy as compared to earlier seventies cars.
The 1981 intro of feedback carburetors and a simple microprocessor was mainly to accommodate newly reduced allowable emissions levels for that MY.
GM called this Computer Command Control and it seemed to work pretty well. It was no doubt a cheaper solution than a proper fuel injection system would have been.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

IDK, I remember that the 1975 MY intro of catalytic converters and electronic ignition allowed better tuning with improved drivability, performance and fuel economy as compared to earlier seventies cars.
The 1981 intro of feedback carburetors and a simple microprocessor was mainly to accommodate newly reduced allowable emissions levels for that MY.
GM called this Computer Command Control and it seemed to work pretty well. It was no doubt a cheaper solution than a proper fuel injection system would have been.

Yeah, but the 87 octane unleaded replaced 89 regular leaded which took more timing away. Before electronic computers we had what were essentially analog computers, with tons of vacuum hose, water temp switches, delay valves, calibrated orifices, vacuum signal comparators and amplifiers.

My 82 cadillac cimarron with the "computer command control" had the vacuum to the EGR controlled by both the computer and a water thermoswitch. The computer knew the coolant temp. Explain this redundancy! The speedometer cable went to an intermediate speed sensor "box" then another cable made its way to the speedometer. This was for torque converter clutch control; the Canadians used a mechanical governor.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Now the question is what type of oil do we recommend? LOL
laugh.gif

Actually, those on this forum who believe that time has no impact on oil will recommend no drain and fill until the new owner drives it at least 3000 miles. Then they will do a UOA to see if it can go even longer. If the engine has to be torn down to replace the seals, they will recommend putting the original oil back in after the work is done.

The Cimarron was a Cavalier in drag.
Unlike the Nova platform Seville, nobody wanted and one, nobody bought one and nobody considered them a Cadillac.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
I wonder if a cold case could be solved with a look inside the trunk.

I thought the same thing. Look to see if there is a dead hooker in the trunk.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back