odd noise after new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had new (stock size) tires installed on my Forester by a top indy mechanic (DTD tires). Latter that day I noticed a sound that sounded like my brake pads were thin when turning right. A few days latter I brought it back to the shop and we could not hear anything (it was raining). But I can today. Mechanic said sometimes old rusty rotors can cause that noise.

I would not think a brake noise from too thin pads would make a difference if the wheels were straight of turned. The rotor is always lined up with the caliper and pads no matter how the wheels are turned.

I cannot be positive, but I am pretty sure this did not happen before the new tires. But I do believe in coincidences.

Sometimes removing and installing wheels can cause minor variations in the way the rotor is seated against the hub. Only a few thousandths and you could get noise from a rust ridge.

Did they make sure to clean the rotor hat surface and the wheel hub surface of corrosion, and torque to spec by hand? I deal with things like this all the time in MN, stupid rust can really [censored] you off when all you did was a tire repair and now there's a "noise".

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Sometimes removing and installing wheels can cause minor variations in the way the rotor is seated against the hub. Only a few thousandths and you could get noise from a rust ridge.

Did they make sure to clean the rotor hat surface and the wheel hub surface of corrosion, and torque to spec by hand? I deal with things like this all the time in MN, stupid rust can really [censored] you off when all you did was a tire repair and now there's a "noise".

I did not watch but these guys are about the best around. I assume they did what was needed.

Perhaps some rust flecks broke loose and are now rubbing on the brakes. This has happened to me before.

The tech also may have accidentally bent the rotor backing plate when taking the tires on/off.

Had a son get new winter tires and steel wheels installed last fall out of town at a Hyundai dealer. We did the spring switch over and started to clean the hub surface, but it was gooey. They had used a copper anti-sieze on the hub and it everything looked brand new after a hard winter
Bravo is all I could say, job well done.

Have you replaced brakes yet on your Forester?

I had to replace rear pads and rotors on my 2016 Forester at just under 36K miles. Fronts were OK then. I was kind of alarmed at how shot they were. Reason I ask is, it was that type of noise that alerted me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back