Direct Injection, what to clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed here on BITOG a lot of conversations discussing the pitfalls of a direct injection engine.

Could someone please clarify for me what the pitfalls are and what to do to mitigate those problems?

My 2014 Accord's 2.4L is direct injection, I have 75K miles on it...

And specifically, if you know exactly what I should clean/check on my car that would be helpful.

Intake system from where the EGR is plumbed in to the intake valves in the cylinder head.

Personally though I would google your specific engine and see if there are actual issues.. some implementations of DI are more troublesome than others.

There are many people with concern over deposits on the intake valve in DI engines. In non-DI engines, the valves were constantly washed down with fuel that had various agents in it to help clean the valves.

DI engines directly bypass the fuel into the cylinder, but there is still EGR and PCV type gases introduced into the intake system and going over the valves.

Some engines have a much bigger issue with this than others, no idea on your particular engine.

Change the oil on schedule with an approved oil. Use only Top Tier fuels. Don't be afraid of your redline.

IF you develop carbon buildup issues, remove the intake manifold and clean the valves.

1) Low NOACK oil
2) Fuel additive with PEA (Redline, Techtron, Gumout) no SeaFoam
3) Open it up for hours on the highway, and limit stop and go
4) Enjoy your car. I have 146k following this simple steps on my DI Lexus

220k miles on Audi 3.2 liter engine. Have done nothing for the DI engine except using Mobil1 or Castrol every 5k miles. Last time I removed the intake manifold was at 185k miles and it looked somewhat dirty but not at all restricted.

not sure about the OP Lexus but some had both types of injection i believe

Maintain the pcv system if the valve is replaceable. Hopefully the baffling in the valve cover or block for the pcv has been reenginered to separate the oil vapor better than before

Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
1) Low NOACK oil
2) Fuel additive with PEA (Redline, Techtron, Gumout) no SeaFoam
3) Open it up for hours on the highway, and limit stop and go
4) Enjoy your car. I have 146k following this simple steps on my DI Lexus

If you always run Top Tier fuel I think you can eliminate the need for adding any extra fuel additives.

With my DI Corvette I plan on running nothing but Top Tier gas, low Noack oils (like my current oil, M1 5w30 ESP) and I definitely try to drive on the highway a lot and stay out of the stop and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back