Full or Low SAPS in Gas Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had the choice of putting the same manufacturer's Full SAPS or Low SAPS 5w40 HDEO in a naturally aspirated non-DI engine (Like the 6.0L LS engine in my new truck), which would you choose and why?

need more information.

This is just a repeat of what is the best motor oil without specific usage scenarios and expected service life(interval).

Are you using this to tow 3000 miles a year and changing yearly?

putting 25000miles on commuting to work. etc.

Personally without more information.. I'd just pick a major name brand one I found on a good sale and not worry about it for even a second longer.

I'm wanting to know if used in a gasoline engine, is there any reason to run a low SAPS oil? Pretty straight forward, I think.

In a naturally aspirated, non-DI engine, is there a reason to run one oil over the other?

Actually, the truck will be used in a variety of ways. 10-12k miles a year with short commutes to work, pulling a boat and a trailer, etc etc
But nothing crazy severe, like a tri-axle race trailer pulled through the Rockies

Depends on the OCI. Full SAPS for extended/long drain. Low SAPS for shorter intervals. Also, if t burns oil I’d be tempted to use low SAPS to reduce phosphorous contamination of the cats.

When you say HDEO and low SAPS, are you thinking of something like Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40?

Obviously it's going to depend on fuel quality and sulfur content, but it won't really matter all that much considering it's port injected. If you are looking at D1 ESP, with a TBN of 12, I don't see why you couldn't use it and follow the OLM. If GM gives you grief at some point for using a "non-conforming" oil, that's a different story, but with a quality filter like a Fram Ultra for instance, I doubt you'll have any lubrication-related issues.

These are the two oils I'm considering for my 2018 Silverado 3500 (6.0L LS gas engine):

Full SAPS

Low SAPS

I know the truck is spec'ed for 5w30, but I don't really care. Besides, with the high VI's of these oils (190), these oils flow really well.

Originally Posted By: Olas
You only need low saps if you have an oil burner with cat/dpf.

This is a brand new truck and it's gasoline powered.

Originally Posted By: Olas
You only need low saps if you have an oil burner with cat/dpf.

I think a low SAPS oil can be very beneficial in any engine that uses direct injection.

I would ask RLI.
55.gif

To me the question is do the anti wear additives in the low SAPS oil perform as well as the additives in the full SAPS oil.

Or put simpler, is low SAPS oil compromised in some way ?

So far I won't use low SAPS oil because I don't need to but I'm open to being persuaded that it's as good or better than full SAPS oil.

Reactions: a5m
High and Low SAPS levels in a HDEO are often different than high and low SAPS levels in a PCMO or light duty diesel engine oil.

Often a low SAPS HDEO is about the same SAPS level as a high SAPS PCMO.

I had a quick look at the links, but I couldn't see the actual Sulphated Ash level, do you know it ?

A low SAPS PCMO or light duty diesel (Euro C3) oil may have a SA level of about 0.5 to 0.7%
A low SAPS HDEO may have a SA level of about 1.0% which would make it a full SAPS PCMO.

Originally Posted By: SR5
High and Low SAPS levels in a HDEO are often different than high and low SAPS levels in a PCMO or light duty diesel engine oil.

I had a quick look at the links, but I couldn't see the actual Sulphated Ash level, do you know it ?

A low SAPS PCMO or light duty diesel (Euro C3) oil may have a SA level of about 0.5 to 0.7%
A low SAPS HDEO may have a SA level of about 1.0% which would make it a full SAPS PCMO.

The Low Ash oil has an SA level of 1% but it's not shown on the high SAPS oil.

http://renewablelube.com/files/8914/8977/5451/Bio-SynXtra_HD_Plus_SHP_SAE_5W40_Motor_Oil_LA.pdf

SA of 1% sounds fine for a gas (petrol) engine. Dexos1 oils are around 0.8% SA, and Euro A3/B4 oils are around 1.2% Sulphated Ash.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Exactly. If it's got a CJ-4 or a CK-4 on it, even with an E6, the SA will be at 1. It doesn't matter how many combinations of ESP, LE and whatnot are in the product name, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back