Titanium 0.1

Copper 1.0

Aluminum 4.2

Tin 0.7

Lead 1.4

Silver 12

12ppm of silver?
shocked.gif

Man, this RL looks really good! TBN-city!!! Got iron and aluminum in it. More so than M1

Yeah because TBN means so much about an oils performance. Might want to check the method lab uses too...

I still wonder if Aluminum is an additive. Years ago, Molakule mentioned them using an Aluminum complex FM. Seems like all RL has about this amount of Aluminum. Unless their blending equipment is made of Al, and just sloughing off molecules into the oil. Don't think it's a big deal.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
Yeah because TBN means so much about an oils performance. Might want to check the method lab uses too...

This lab uses the lower ASTM D4739 (4729?) method, similar to Blackstone's new method.

TBN is not that great, but some mentioned that for Redline TBN drops rather slowly.
Calcium is nice. Zinc and Phosphorus are almost twice as current M1. I wonder if Redline has ever cared about SL/SM & GF-3/4 licensing?

Oxidation 392?
shocked.gif

TAN 3.3?
shocked.gif

Sulful 5300?
confused.gif
Can someone shine a light on what does sulful tell us about VOA? I honostly don't remember.

Regards,

I don't think that Redline is formulated for extremely long drain intervals so that TBN should be ok.. I just cleaned out my local Canadian Tire of all their 10w30 stock, 11 quarts. On sale for 10.39, reg 12.99 Cnd. Should last me until next year. Tons of moly!
shocked.gif

The bottle itself says that the oil is "not to be used as break-in oil", until 3,000miles. Is that true? Should I wait 5,000km on a brand new car to change it? That will take the whole summer..
banghead.gif

What's up with that silver.

Boron doesn't jive with other RL VOA's either.

Never saw TAN for RL, interesting. Isn't that high for a VOA? Don't know what that means exactly though.

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
I don't think that Redline is formulated for extremely long drain intervals so that TBN should be ok.. I just cleaned out my local Canadian Tire of all their 10w30 stock, 11 quarts. On sale for 10.39, reg 12.99 Cnd. Should last me until next year. Tons of moly!
shocked.gif

The bottle itself says that the oil is "not to be used as break-in oil", until 3,000miles. Is that true? Should I wait 5,000km on a brand new car to change it? That will take the whole summer..
banghead.gif

You need to drive more!
smile.gif

I can put 5000km on my car in less than 8 weeks, especially in the summer.

According to Terry, the TBN in RL drops faster but will still have more life left in it then shown. It would be nice to see them inhance the TBN to 11-12 for what your paying for.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
You need to drive more!
smile.gif

I can put 5000km on my car in less than 8 weeks, especially in the summer.

I'll do my best, believe me..
grin.gif
but the S2000 will be used in fair weather only, otherwise I have the truck. Hoping for a sunny summer..
canada.gif

The sulfur levels are from various additives such as MoDTC (FM/AW add), the AW/AO add (such as zddp), and from FM's (sulfurized oelfins).

Wearcheck needs to recalibrate for Boron. The levels reported here are way too low.

I'd like to see them drop the moly down to around 100 ppm " or remove it altogether"
wink.gif
and raise the calcium sulphonate up by 1000 ppm and stick a little diester in their street oils .

I've asked before , has anyone ever seen the published results of the copper corrosion test for this oil ?

My opinion is the relatively new overbased calcium in use synergysticaly with boron and zinc can produce the same anti-wear capabiltities as an oil relying mostly on moly in which in my opinion is a better anti-oxident than it is anything else . In terms of the heat it takes to activate the moly as a barrier additive .....well it's almost to late .

I really believe moly is an anti-oxident first and foremost and barrier strenght comes secondary .

An oil with a premium basestock like the Redline should not need moly " which was developed for use in ISLAC GF-3 dino's" in anything other than race conditions .

In the case of Redline and Moly I believe it could be causing needless copper corrosion and have posted some vey good info on this in the past from the Ethyl Corp that stated formulated oils with certain basestocks using MoTDC and copper corrosion should be carefully watched /considered or something to the effect .

Now they were NOT speaking of Redline oils in particular .

PE Ester is near battle tough . Might be just overkill for most engines on the street and other makers using esters of a different type and types of them show better analysis from what I've seen .

PS , look at the molyless Amsoil line up . I think they know how to build and oil w/o moly which is actually some sort of a solid .....and might even build up where the rod bearing ledge "for lack of better" lay's on the rod and main cap

I'm not an expert , just putting two and two together
but if I'm wrong I'm sure an attempt will be made to correct
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
PS , look at the molyless Amsoil line up . I think they know how to build and oil w/o moly which is actually some sort of a solid .....and might even build up where the rod bearing ledge "for lack of better" lay's on the rod and main cap

The moly used in modern oils discussed on this forum is not any sort of solid.

quote:

My opinion is the relatively new overbased calcium in use synergysticaly with boron and zinc can produce the same anti-wear capabiltities as an oil relying mostly on moly

Good point. This seems to be the trend. Synergyn and Mobil 1 are similar in formulation. Not exactly but it does seem that many oils are leaning towards 100 or so PPM of Moly (which is not a solid), Boron and a lot of calcium.

RL is a completely unique oil that really stands alone in its approach. At least from what I've seen. I'm sure if you pounded the sh@t out of your car daily, RL would hold up better.

I still think M1R is going to be outstanding for racing.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back