RedLine 5W-30 VOA - WearCheck Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buster,

Some of the moly's are compounds of ca , bo ,sulfur and I am guessing the reason these various oils use different amounts and types depend on the sulfur in the actual base oil from what I have read .

This company makes 6 different moly products for engine oil use . Please read their notes about copper corrosion which brings about full circle to another link I'll post about group I's , their sulfur content , oxidation ect .

http://www.rtvanderbilt.com/petro_5.htm

Group I and moly

http://www.priorartdatabase.com/IPCOM/000004774/

Your right . Redline seems to be an oil formulated much different than any other . I looked at member satterfli's Redline analysis used in his Honda Motorcycle ...man those engines are tough on oil and his analysis...well I could not imagine one being any better .It compares with even the best passenger car analisis's from memory .

Whether or not we fully understand Redlines philosophy of going about building an engine oil one things for sure it seems and that is this oil will not fail you when the going gets tough and is worth the price per quart to many race team worldwide .

[ April 28, 2004, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

It sounds like Moly really kicks in when the going gets tough based on those articles.

Redline uses Moly for several things, but uses a boat load more then any oil I can think of. For the highest stressed engines, RL seems the most ideal.

For 99% of us, it's not necessary, however, due to it's POE base stock, shearing is unlikely therefore you maintain a clean engine. Good stuff.

The moly is used primarily for friction Reduction first and secondarily for anti-oxidation.

quote:

I've asked before , has anyone ever seen the published results of the copper corrosion test for this oil ?

The copper corrosion bench test would not be valid.

What I think would be a valid test would be to place copper test strips in an engine and run it for 10,000 miles and view the copper at 2k intervals.

[ April 28, 2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

The copper corrosion bench test would not be valid.

[/QUOTE]

Is that primarily a diesel engine oil bench test ? The only info I have seen about that test in the Ethyl Handbook is related to HDEO's only .

It must have to do with the sulfur in group I base oils or mixed streams that include it and exacting the correct additive pack used with it in formulation and possibly to include the effect after combustion of the diesel fuel .

[ April 30, 2004, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back