2013 Honda accord 2.4 DI let's talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought new. 42,000 on it now. I never knew it was a DI engine. Till yesterday. I was checking everything before a big trip.I have from day one taken it to the dealership for all oil changes. Wife's car and it is to [censored] low. Have went 100% by the OLM. Normally down to at least 20% before an oil change. I bet 6000-7500 . Any clue to what dealership use to put in a standard oil change? 0w20 . My papers just says bulk . I see I need to run a good synthetic for the DI . Stay with honda filters and move it to a 50% olm oil change? No one has ever stated to us about more frequent changes from Honda. The dealer ship has told us to bring it in when it gets 20% or lower. We at 50% right now. But headed out in the morning on a couple thousand miles trip. Nothing I can do about it now. But when I get back. Got no problem with dealership changing the oil , but I think this DI needs synthetic .I don't think the dealer is putting a sn in it. ,I think wife pays about 59 or so for a oil change. Thanks for hearing me vent. Gawardawg

Last edited:
If the dealer's service people are using the recommended grade, then they are using a synthetic oil, since even the blends in this grade have little Grp II in them.
Ask the shop what they're using. It's probably a synthetic 0W-20.
If you're inclined to do your own oil changes, all you need is a set of Rhino Ramps and you're good to go.
Do this and you'll at least know exactly what the car is getting.

I run the fram xg filter and usually mobil 1 0w20 unless i get something equivalent cheaply. I never worry about DI. All oci are based on OLM and its usually either full or up to 3/4 qt low. Sometimes i even run the oil filter for a 2nd oci as the manual allows it. I change it at 15% but if it gets to 10 or 5 i dont sweat it. Almost 60k miles and its a 6 speed that gets worked.

Most Honda dealers were using 5w20 bulk oil then and if you really wanted
0w20 it was a $10 surcharge.
Dealers are okay but if you did it yourself you could use premium products for
under $30 a change and if you run the filter twice you'd be at $25

Book calls for 0-20. I use a top tier syn from Walmart along with Fram Ultra filter which i take to local tire/service shop (Mock Tire)who does the change for $20. I've dealth with them for years and trust their work. I try to change it when OLM hits 15%...it pops up on screen at that point. Normally about 8000 mi on oil.

that oil got to be 0w-20 from a Honda dealership

I change oil on our CRV each 5K with M1 along with filter just because the math, which is always at 40% OLM; mine 2.4 DI uses some oil, so I add 1/2 qt between oil changes; to me oil and filters are dirt cheap so it is serving as a cheapest insurance for running the car in the long run;

I wouldn't sweat over it honestly, but you could measure oil level in the engine prior your trip, and fill up to the full line; so adding fresh oil would prolong oil life somewhat

Bulk doesn’t necessarily mean junk. It all depends on what exactly your dealer is ordering from the suppliers. Ask them and if you don’t like the answer there’s also the option to ask them to use bottled, synthetic Honda oil from their parts department.

I've only put 4,000 miles on the 2013 Accord LX I bought with 54K on the meter. A main reason I bought it was that I documented regular 6,000 mile oil changes at the dealer that both sold and serviced the car. It had a regular diet of 0w-20 and in my 4K miles it has used zero oil.

I will drive the car almost exclusively in FL, my next change will be with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and a Donaldson filter, and I will stick to 5-6K mile intervals. Even if I brought the car back to NC (also your home state) I'd stick with 5w-20 synthetic. It sees no sub-freezing temps so I see no need for the zero weight. As of now I'm not convinced to switch to a 0w-30 (costs more) or even a 5w-30 that some Accord owners choose.

If you need to top off during your trip, I'd use a 5w-30 synthetic.

According to my neighbor who was a head mechanic at a local Honda dealer each dealer can get their "bulk" oil from whatever supplier they want. He said that they dispensed 10w-30 from the hose into cars that were supposed to only have 0W-20.

Bottom line, it's a [censored] shoot unless you buy the correct Honda 0W-20 and make them show you the empty bottles after their done.

Be wary...

The 2013 is DI?
eek.gif

A full synthetic should be good to 20% on a non-turbo DI. You said it usually says 6-7k, which shouldn't be a problem using a full synthetic

Originally Posted By: nap
Bulk doesn’t necessarily mean junk. It all depends on what exactly your dealer is ordering from the suppliers. Ask them and if you don’t like the answer there’s also the option to ask them to use bottled, synthetic Honda oil from their parts department.

Right! Bulk doesn't mean junk nor does it mean 55 gal drum. Our Lexus dealer used QS oils and our Nissan dealer uses Valvoline oils.

The easiest way to find out is to ask... At the Honda dealership where I worked for several years your car would get Pennzoil Plat 0w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back