TGMO / 0W-20 / Toyota Tacoma 7,655 miles (@28k)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Free" Toyota Care is over, so back to wrenching myself... Going to start with ~5k inspections / tire rotations and 7-8k oil/filter changes. This looks ok to me... Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0w-20 out (Motul EcoLite 0w-20 in) Sticking with OEM filters. FWIW compared to my last string of VWs and BMWs truck is a breeze to work on.

Thanks for sharing. Everything looks good. I think 7.5k - 8k is the sweet spot according to the UOA. If you do not believe in TBN/TAN equilibrium, you can push 10k or more, up to you.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
why replace toyota's mix with an inferior product?

What makes you think that Motul 0w20 is inferior? VI isn't everything.

Given the flashpoint and the viscosity, which clearly point to fuel dilution (not B$tone's strong point), I wouldn't head to 9,000 miles.

Good report, but I don't agree with the recommendation.

You could run cheep Formula Shell conventional in that V6 changing it at 6-7k and it will run well over 200,000 miles without issue.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
You could run cheep Formula Shell conventional in that V6 changing it at 6-7k and it will run well over 200,000 miles without issue.

More like 400K miles with low cost Shell or SuperTech Dino oil.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Given the flashpoint and the viscosity, which clearly point to fuel dilution (not B$tone's strong point), I wouldn't head to 9,000 miles.

Flashpoints both slightly out of spec, the viscosities are slightly below their mid-point value. What would you prefer to see not knowing the starting values? Thanks

xW20's for CAFE xW30's for long engine life, 10-30 for your warm climate IMO

Originally Posted By: benjy
xW20's for CAFE xW30's for long engine life, 10-30 for your warm climate IMO

Another statement with no data to back it up.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Flashpoints both slightly out of spec, the viscosities are slightly below their mid-point value. What would you prefer to see not knowing the starting values? Thanks

Time after time, Blackstone are reporting no fuel, and have flashpoints and KVs at near the condemnation limits, which clearly indicates that the oil has significant fuel in it.

Closest data point the what the virgins are are
* The MSDS - FP 426, KV100 - 8.5
https://physics.usc.edu/Undergraduate/temporary/toyota_0W-20_msdn_vrd_0004740940mfv_0005160165.pdf
* KV100 - 8.8 per Gokhan's post
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3356846/Toyota_TGMO_0W-20_SN_VOA_with_

So assuming the above are representative, viscosity has dropped 12%, and flash point 36 degreesF.

So Blackstone's recommendation to go another 2,000 miles is, IMO flawed.

(like their acceptable viscosity ranges - aren't SAE J300 either)

Thanks for all the feedback. My intentions are to run this Motul for 7-8k get another analysis and see how it compares.

(FWIW this past run had a lot of high-speed hwy miles and I used a can of 44k 1 tank before this change, maybe that has something to do with the dilution discussion?)

That sodium shouldn't be there. This is the last generation of TGMO 0w20 (not the high-moly new one), but sodium is too high. Entered via the air filter maybe?

Given the flashpoint and the viscosity, which clearly point to fuel dilution (not B$tone's strong point), I wouldn't head to 9,000 miles. Time after time, Blackstone are reporting no fuel, and have flashpoints and KVs at near the condemnation limits, which clearly indicates that the oil has significant fuel in it.
Not the problem you say it is. A little oxidation will set in on the way to 9k miles, increasing kv100 back upward. Fuel dilution is not bad here, since at this point in the oil's lifetime, a normal & expected amount of VII shearing drops kv100 by 0.5 to 1 cSt, seen a lot. Some fuel dilution is likely, but its probably 0.5 to 1% or so here, not bad at all.

(like their acceptable viscosity ranges - aren't SAE J300 either)
J300 is for new fresh oil, not old used oil really. Engineers who desgin the bearings know there will be some viscosity changes, within reason, and that's why Blackstone goes a little outside J300. Normal business, not setting off any alarms at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back