Why Less Love For Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: raytseng
I will chime in on the higher consumption.

But most of the hate for me is because the M1 users seem brainwashed into M1.

They say im using M1 and its consuming a quart every 2500miles and is loud or otherwise they are not happy. But even though M1 is mistreating them, they stubbornly still will stay with m1 and say should I try m1 5w40 or maybe M1 5w30HM and can't be convinced that maybe m1 isnt for their car and to try pp or something else.
especially with all the m1 lovers chiming in and also reinforcing that there is no way M1 could be bad, its your fault.
The cult of m1 is basically an abusive relationship.

Ummm, what?

That's almost tinfoil cap worthy. Mobil isn't a cult guy, it's a brand of motor oil and, at least on here, one that is a common target for those to poo poo...
21.gif

Mobil 1 makes the only A40-approved 5W-50, so that is appealing to me. Their 15W-50 is good for classic stuff. M1 0W-40 is great for European cars. It's loss of LL01 is clearly the trend of the times, even though there was a bunch of hand wringing (by myself too, I'll admit!) When it was first reformulated.

Their Delvac line is also top-notch.

I will say that Mobil 1 has mad more noise for me than say, Castrol. Whether it's louder or just a different pitch, I have experienced that.

The oils you've listed are pretty interchangeable in the appropriate grade and spec for any given application.
I've used all of those that you've listed other than the current Valvoline, although I have used Synpower.
You'll see no dramatic differences with any of these oils nor with any other.
Nothing wrong with M1 and AMIR, M1 is often the bargain pick among them.
Just went from three cars on M1 to one with two recent oil changes. Zero consumption in 6K on the Forester and barely noticeable loss in 8.3K with the Accord, both on M1 AFE 0W-20 put in last November. Both cars still seemed smooth and quiet on this oil when drained.
Both of the cars now on other brands will see M1 again at some future date, just as they'll see other brands as well.
There is a coterie of M1 lovers here just as there is a coven of M1 haters.
M1 in certain grades does offer physical properties not found in most competing oils and I'm neither a lover nor a hater but merely an observer as well as a price shopper.

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: dogememe
I've just heard too many people (especially with older GMs) complain about oil consumption when switching to M1 compared to any other brand of synthetic oil. I will never use it.

Now that's pure hatred right there

Sure but at the end of the day that's why there are a bunch of different brands and models of cars. Maybe I like large Fords and GMs and somebody else likes boring Toyotas and the next person loves their overpriced high-maintenance BMW. At leat that's my perspective. But the owner of the boring Toyota will go on and on about excellent resale value, and the owner of the BMW will not shut about about how much better their car handles, and you know what? Nobody is wrong. Everybody just has their own requirements, needs, wants, perspectives, opinions and priorities. Same thing goes for motor oil.

Last edited:
The only "syn" oil I refuse to use is QS. It's the only oil I've ever experienced oil consumption with.
After that I promptly went back to M1, and my 15k mile OCI with no leaks or burning was achieved!

thumbsup2.gif

I have used M1 on and off since the 1980s and many of the 'old wives tales' persist and are complete bovine scatology--M1 causes...leaks, more noise, higher consumption, more iron to be shed...blah, blah, blah. Despite all of that, the one thing that M1 does not necessarily have in its favor is marketing and price point; e.g. Mobil Super Synthetic priced higher more than M1 (lesser synthetic costs more?), M1 AP initially priced 2x higher than M1 or M1 AFE (no good reason for that). Otherwise, I agree with others that M1 is easily the most popular synthetic here on BITOG and elsewhere in the world.

1. Car consumed more compared to Pennzoil products. But it was a Saturn...

2. Rebate process was easier with Pennzoil.

3. Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum have worked well.

So it is not hate of Mobil 1. It is more about using what has consistently worked.

I was using Mobil 1 products until they went after Castrol and the advertising council ruled in Castrols favor. Didn’t take long before M1 reformulated away from their “tri synthetic” offerings and more or less joined Castrol in the Grp 3 party. Funny thing is both oils were perfectly fine to run in your car. And now Grp 3 is accepted as being “fully synthetic “. So I switched to Castrol just to see if it was better and, well, I’m still using Castrol products. BMWs recommendation of Castrol products for my 330ci also played a part, and when I put a valve cover gasket on it the insides were clean and the cams were remarkably free of wear at a little over 100k miles.
And KJSmith has had some stellar UOAs using Magnatec in his EB trucks. Good enough for me...

Originally Posted By: raytseng
The cult of m1 is basically an abusive relationship.

And the cult of anti-M1 is a funny bunch themselves.

I've used it since around 1980 in all my cars and I can honestly say that I've not noticed additional noise nor consumption over any other oil. I did change to Castrol in my BMW after M1 no longer carried the Longlife-01 certification, and it seems to run pretty much just like Mobil 1 did all the miles before that.

I've gotten a lot of trouble free miles out of my vehicles so as far as I'm concerned it works well.

Sure but at the end of the day that's why there are a bunch of different brands and models of cars. Maybe I like large Fords and GMs and somebody else likes boring Toyotas and the next person loves their overpriced high-maintenance BMW. At leat that's my perspective. But the owner of the boring Toyota will go on and on about excellent resale value, and the owner of the BMW will not shut about about how much better their car handles, and you know what? Nobody is wrong. Everybody just has their own requirements, needs, wants, perspectives, opinions and priorities. Same thing goes for motor oil.

But such opinions are generally made on personal experience, you on the other hand made your comments because you "heard" it:

I've just heard too many people (especially with older GMs) complain about oil consumption when switching to M1 compared to any other brand of synthetic oil. I will never use it.

That is a silly reason to do something.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
It isn't like it is a bad oil. It just commands a price premium compared to oils that are just as good or seemingly better.

Well........

after the big debacle with "Castrol Syntec" Group-III being allowed to sell as "synthetic"....

Mobil then went ahead and watered down their formula with Grp-III as well, but did NOT lower the price.

That is why there is some hate.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Well........

after the big debacle with "Castrol Syntec" Group-III being allowed to sell as "synthetic"....

Mobil then went ahead and watered down their formula with Grp-III as well, but did NOT lower the price.

That is why there is some hate.

I don't understand how it is "watered down". Doesn't it meet all the same specifications that it always met, except for Longlife-01? And to be honest no one knows why it no longer has that cert, it is equally as likely that they declined to pursue the certification as it is they did not meet it. No one knows since no one has offered a technical reason for the loss nor is ExxonMobil saying why.

ExxonMobil clearly stated why they developed Visom and also showed that in some respects it was superior to a majority PAO product. There was very little difference between the Visom/PAO formulation and the prior product.

But like I said earlier, I did switch to Castrol for my BMW. I prefer an oil that actually carries a certification rather than one that "might" meet it.

Reverse question could have been asked as well prior to the Castrol circumstance... What made Mobil 1 better than the other oils at the same time?? When they some of them met the same specs like API SF, SG, or SH. Or maybe a couple of of random specs that GM may have had at that time?? What made Mobil 1 better back then?? There was a good reason why. That was for sure.

Ive always used Mobil or Pennzoil. Well..okay Castrol too. I prefer M1 and Pennzoil over the rest but wouldnt bash Castrol. Quite sure Im a seat of my pants type of guy. I think most oils are good today.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I don't understand how it is "watered down".

Yes, it was a poor choice of words.

However,

Some people, when they pay for more..... expect more.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Mobil isn't a cult guy, it's a brand of motor oil and, at least on here, one that is a common target for those to poo poo...
21.gif

Oh is it? Poor M1
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Seriously, not seeing it. The brand is grossly and disgustingly over-represented on here, and has been for some time; gleefully riding M1 is so normal that any dissent stands out and is met with pro-mobil brow beating.

"Well I used it for many years and it was oil"
"Never had a engine blow up on it, best oil ever"
"One of their top tier products meet some rare spec, Mobil products are all I use"
And the hourly "What's the difference between Glorbil 5 XPR vs Glorbil 5 XP?" or "Which Blorbil 5 for my XXXXX" like if this place wasn't laced with 'paid brand ambassadors' working the 'social media accounts', who's job it is to keep the brand floating on the thread list and project a 'real person' persona.

No doubt exxon hires brilliant lab guys, but who doesn't? I personally don't like the way they do business.
21.gif
I'm quite surprised , actually, that there are about a handful of people on here that feel similarly.

I've read recently that wear numbers are up with M1, they cheapened their base stocks? Formula change?

I love M1. Other than an occasional affair with Schaeffers oil, it’s been my go-to oil on all my past vehicles. I’d stock up when Costco had as sale and be happy. I’ve used it in at least three different engines and always had great UOAs.

However, M1 gets beat up in my Ecoboost. The wear levels are fine (better than Schaeffers), but it shears down to a 20-weight oil. I’ve got 6qts left in my stash that go into the engine this weekend and then I’m going to experiment for a year with Magnatec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back