Debating an engine weight for Q50 RedSport

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm nearly done my breakin, and came across an interesting fact. The Q50 VR30DETT and Q60 VR30DETT are identical engines, but the Q50 manual says to use synthetic 0w20, but the Q60 manual says that 5w30 Conventional is an okay alternative to 0w20.

As I am a bit old school and drive my car rather "spirited" and do lots of stop/go I have been thinking of splitting the(probably Mobile1) oil change 0w20 3qt and 2.5qt 0w30 but for a bit of extra protection. Is there any logic in this? SHOuld I go just 20 or just 30? Or is there really no reason to go up a grade anymore? I remember on my last car (32valve 4.6 DHOC Mustang) called for 5w30, later 5w20 was re-spec'd for it, but I ran 0w or 5w40 just because I have a lead foot and did lots of stop and go.

On a side topic, has anyone actually tested the NISMO oil filter? If it's actually better than OEM I don't mind paying extra $$ but if not then I'll skip it.

Last edited:
I'd run a 5w30 syn myself. Picking up a Q50 this week, with the 3.7.

Oil filter get ones made for honda. Same thread and bypass rating, just a little longer. I would skip the "premium" filters and just run a regular wix/hastings/etc...

I like the Mobil 1 0w20/0w30 50/50 mix in 20w applications....mainly because I scored some 0w30 on the AZ CLEARANCE a while back.... but what do I know...

I wouldn't mix at all. I have the VQ series. And other than the turbos and the new spay liner block, it's basically the same. The 0w-20, is recommended...if you had to, you could always go,up to 5w-30. But the 0w-30 have a totally different base, VII and POA vs. 0w-20. Im waiting for my 2nd UAO to see if my wear metals decrease as they say this series is tough on oil. If it's abnormal, I'm going to switch to 5w-30.

Regarding the filter. I would not use the OEM again. I have a cut open video where the flow back valves stuck open....I was shocked. It's a [censored] oil filter. The Nismo might be much better...but then why not use a FRAM ultra? That's as robust as they come.

To follow up I ended up going RP 5w30 w/ rp filter. Recommended OCI's are 10K, but I 'm planning to roll just 7500. 90% of my driving is short range stop and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back