Where to keep passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Your have a gun safe? You write them down and put them in the safe. There is always a chance with a program you use to do it being hacked!
Just don't forget your combo or share it.

All my passwords are written down on my business cards, OFFLINE and in a secure place. This way If I die it will be much easier for (the RIGHT people) to get to my money.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
A recent thread about commercial grade PC protection (that I didn't understand a bit of...) mentioned strong passwords with 16 characters including caps, numbers, and punctuation. So where do you keep your passwords? I remember the most used ones up to 8 characters but obviously not something like that. Sorry to admit I have a mini-rolodex that I keep in a drawer and hide when we go away. If you keep your PWs on a device isn't that a risk?

I have the latest Mozilla Firefox 59.02 browser and it's own Password Manager works really well. Highly recommended.

Lastpass and a random password generator for each website.

I don't even know what the passwords are without using lastpass.

If lastpass decides to charge for their service, I'll export to another service.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Lastpass and a random password generator for each website.

I don't even know what the passwords are without using lastpass.

If lastpass decides to charge for their service, I'll export to another service.

They already offer a paid tier.
BTW Lastpass browser addon has a random password generator.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
A recent thread about commercial grade PC protection (that I didn't understand a bit of...) mentioned strong passwords with 16 characters including caps, numbers, and punctuation. So where do you keep your passwords? I remember the most used ones up to 8 characters but obviously not something like that. Sorry to admit I have a mini-rolodex that I keep in a drawer and hide when we go away. If you keep your PWs on a device isn't that a risk?

I have the latest Mozilla Firefox 59.02 browser and it's own Password Manager works really well. Highly recommended.

Mozilla's baked-in password manager stores all data "in the clear" (ie. unencrypted) by default, for reasons I will never understand. One needs to set a "Master Password" for that data (and enter upon first use each time you open your browser) in order for it to be encrypted.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
If you read some of the latest thoughts surrounding passwords and security, the old adage of upper/lower case, numbers, and symbols has been replaced with easy to remember passphrases which are not easy to crack such as "2BulldozersCan'tSwim".

With that said, there are several tools which are used for password management which are encrypted at rest and are secure such as Roboform, Keeper, Dashlane, Stick Password, to name a few.
Same thing I was wondering. Windows 10 Pro has better options than Home if you're trying to encrypt your own files, but isn't sold on most consumer computers by default for some reason. Mine are inanely event based and written on paper. You'll have to pry them out of my Kool4idDiedHans

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-passwords-...onsidered-safer

There are a few super password managers out there:

1. The time tested and mature Roboform.

2. Dashlane and Lastpass

and there is also one that you can keep on a local drive.

Simply search password managers.

Right now for a FREE anywhere remote manager, the rave is Lastpass.

If you dont care much about money Dashlane seems to be tops as far as super nice to use.

Right now, I still am liking Roboform. Can buy a 3 year subscription at a low cost and has been super reliable.

All three above are cross platform, from Windows 10 to your smart phone. (I havent used Dashlane but would be tempted at the right price)
Keep in mind many of the reviews online are to take to you to a site so you subscribe, meaning they make money off your click.

So with that said, give serious consideration to Roboform, has been around a long time. It will scramble your passwords if you want it to, if not you just keep your own. Im only saying this because I use it, also have been testing out Lastpass which is completely free to one user, wife has been using that and likes it, me, still on the fence.

Bottomline, try them all, pick the one you like.

Click - Here is ONE place to start reading

- keep in mind, the winner is sometimes the one that they make the most money off if you click!

Last edited:
I use Lastpass I like having my passwords both available on my phone and any computer with just having to remember my master password to my "vault".

I have never had anyone break into any of my online accounts because they all have long cryptic passwords that Lastpass remembers for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back