Genuine and OE with different COO's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would this be?

For example, some cast OE parts were once "genuine" before the dealer logo was ground off and simply labeled under the OE supplier's name. For example, the Aisin WP on the Volvo in my signature once said Volvo as you can clearly tell what it once said.. Must have been ground off on a Friday at quitting time.

I would assume an OE and genuine part would be the exact same quality. (Hopefully about the same age too as a ~16 year old WP may be leak prone.)
21.gif

Last edited:
If we're talking Denso or Aisin and the car had that as OEM, it doesn't make sense for them to setup a different line for the aftermarket. The Aisin timing kits I've installed for my parent's car and a friend's car did use OEM pumps, Toyota was ground off it.

The Germans do this as well - I helped a friend install a new ignition switch in his VW Vanagon(that's a Transporter ROW) and while the part came in a Kostal box from Brazil as COO, the switch itself said Germany and the VW-Audi logo was melted off with a soldering iron.

Originally Posted By: nthach
If we're talking Denso or Aisin and the car had that as OEM, it doesn't make sense for them to setup a different line for the aftermarket.

I realize this.

To me, it doesn't make sense to have more tooling a few countries over either.

Last edited:
Sometimes the same car is made in different countries, and they often get local parts. For example, a Camry made in the US and Japan, both sold in the same market. The Japanese-made Camry may have a Japanese water pump, whereas the US-made Camry of the same specs will use a US-made WP. Sometimes they use the same supplier, and sometimes they use different suppliers.

Sometimes the supplier changes where the parts are made. Sometime the mfr changes suppliers. And of course, even the same supplier can be using multiple countries at the same time
smile.gif

What are the COO's of the two pumps?

Are they both new, or are you comparing a new OE vs the original genuine pump on the car?

Seen this on a replacement oil pump for a 2.2 Camry. It was definitely an original part, just 'modified' as you mention

Originally Posted By: drtyler
What are the COO's of the two pumps?

Are they both new, or are you comparing a new OE vs the original genuine pump on the car?

I want to say France and Czech Republic. Both would be new.

Can't remember where the original one was made.

Here is my thoughts. Industrial space is tight, and the original COO simply could not have dark production floor space. They have a new line for next model year/etc. After the model has been retired, either they lost the "service" bid, or need the floor space for another contract.

The OEM part under the current model year contract, whoever makes it is the OEM supplier. For reasons, they may not want the service/retirement contract, so it goes out for bid, whoever wins the bid gets the tooling, and the tooling has to be modified.(a handheld grinder) to reflect the new location/contract.

Service contracts are low volume, and cosmetically not as good.(parts collecting dust, sitting around)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back