Amsoil Engine Flush vs BG EPR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friends purchased a used 2005 Corolla with a spotty/unknown oil change history. So I added a bottle of Amsoil Engine Flush. The Amsoil Engine Flush does not have the strong solvent smell like the BG stuff does.

I am not certain that the Amsoil Engine Flush had much of an impact. The oil did not even darken after running it. The SDS for Amsoil Engine Flush shows mostly mineral oil. The BG one lists various solvents and from my experience, the used oil is always darker after running it.

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of the Amsoil product?

Last edited:
Which one took the most weight out of your wallet ?

The one that took the least is the most effective.

Ive never tried either..

Liqui Moly Engine Flush is what i have used the past few times. Oil fairly clean on the dipstick turns nasty black and drains out black.

Seems like strong stuff in a metal can from Germany. I bought mine at NAPA.

No engine flush is a good idea, short OCIs with a high detergent oil are a better option.
However, if you *must* flush, 2-3 ounces of diesel will do the job very well.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Friends purchased a used 2005 Corolla with a spotty/unknown oil change history. So I added a bottle of Amsoil Engine Flush. The Amsoil Engine Flush does not have the strong solvent smell like the BG stuff does.

I am not certain that the Amsoil Engine Flush had much of an impact. The oil did not even darken after running it. The SDS for Amsoil Engine Flush shows mostly mineral oil. The BG one lists various solvents and from my experience, the used oil is always darker after running it.

Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of the Amsoil product?

Like nearly everyone else on here who uses a flush because they think the engine needs it, does not know if it needs it or not. You say you don't think it had much of an impact but at the same time you don't know if there was anything to clean out either.

If I were so inclined I'd try the BG flush next go around and see if there's much of a difference. If there is that might help with coming to a conclusion on the effectiveness of the product. Just to keep it fair and reduce possible flame wars, I'd keep this OCI real short, maybe 100 miles, just to flush the Amsoil product out. Remember even then there's still the risk of taking some heat for a wide variety of reasons.

Those are a great engine... The flush will help clean the vvti screen and general areas. Wont hurt anything at all. Those are known for the intake gasket getting old,hard and leaking. The new gasket is orange silicone and takes a hour to install. Those are also known to high idle and even worse with the intake leak.

I like Amsoil products generally, but I saw no effect from their Engine Flush in reducing oil consumption at 260K miles in my 2AZ-FE Camry engine. I assumed ring sticking and hoped to clean them up without disassembly. I could be burning oil through the valve stem seals and guides, too, of course. Still uses a quart every 1000-1200 miles. I don't think mine was sludged up at all; oil used with the flush did not change color significantly before being drained. Same result with Kreen.

I like BG products. BG is a company that focuses on additives while Amsoil is a company that focuses on motor oil. I don't go to a steak restaurant and order chicken.

Last edited:
I've had very good luck with BG109 (EPR). Throw a whole can in the last 100 miles before a change. It always help cure the ticks and clicks that aging engines get
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back