Best oil for Honda EU7000IS Generator

Originally Posted By: Oilnewb1
What's the downside to sticking with the Honda Power Equipment conventional oil if I change the oil every 50hrs?
you wanted the best in the original post I think many have been proven to be better than OEM.

What's the downside to sticking with the Honda Power Equipment conventional oil if I change the oil every 50hrs?
A lighter wallet most likely. If they don't give me an extended warranty for buying their oil I see no reason to buy it vs a top HDEO. I think Sthil gives you an additional warranty if you buy their oil when you buy the tool.

Per quart its not that cheap.

It's priced the same as synthetic. Just figured if use it for the duration of the 3 year warranty to prevent any issues. Honda emailed me saying they do not recommend the use of synthetic oil in the eu7000is. They didn't day to use their oil either, just not synthetic Soni see how this could potentially be a warranty issue down the line.

Slightly different opinion that the previous ones mentioned:

My best recommendation if you wish to continue using a synthetic 10W30 is, Amsoil MOTORCYCLE oil, MCT 10W30. Flash Point 244C, 3.5 HT/HS. Formulated for a high temperature, high rpm environment. Hard to beat numbers. What's not to like? I have not tried their small engine oil.

I have a Honda EU6500is inverter generator - which preceded your generator. Bought it used with 3800 hours on it. Don't know what oil was used before. Replaced the rings. Since then, I like the motorcycle oil best in this generator. Delo 15W30 is also good as a cheap, mineral based substitute. I had them both on hand, and used them both before. Hope to get another 3800 hours out it.

Out of warranty, any of the mentioned 40 weight or 15W50 weight oils are what I will be using, going forward, no drawbacks, additional protection in a prolonged outage.

Hey, I am not so sure you have a catalytic converter on that generator. Where is it?

Not sure but the owner's manual and service manual both state that there is one.

Small engines often have a catalyst right inside the muffler.

I neglected to mention that there is plenty of evidence 10W-30 shears less than 5W-30 over time.

In addition, M1, 10W-30 flows every bit as well as M1 5W-30 when tested well below zero.

I have used Amsoil small engine formula in my small engines for over 10 years!
I think you will find it resists burnoff better than an automotive oil.
Burnoff and consumption is a major concern on generators that may run many hours at heavy load between oil checks.

Originally Posted By: cronk
I have used Amsoil small engine formula in my small engines for over 10 years!
I think you will find it resists burnoff better than an automotive oil.
Burnoff and consumption is a major concern on generators that may run many hours at heavy load between oil checks.
+1 same reason I also put it as a top pick along with VPracing SEF as fuel to store it on.

No one mentioned Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30. Has higher HTHS than Amsoil Small gas engine oil.

Originally Posted By: NH73
No one mentioned Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30. Has higher HTHS than Amsoil Small gas engine oil.
Don't high mileage oils have seal swellers in them?

I've experienced honda engine in my mower being unhappy with M1 5-30 in high summer temps under high loads. Repeated "shinies" in the oil and increasing amounts of startup smoke. I switched to M1 10-30 and the "shinies" stopped and the smoking remained but didn't get any worse. After that I moved away 5-30 in OPE and then away from M1. 10-30 syn is my go-to, usually PP or Castrol. I can't put enough hours on this oil in a season to note any bad behavior. All the OPE gets an OC in august or september. None of it needs any topping off during the year. 14.5 hp mower, 7.5hp genset, and two little micro 4-strokes for blower and trimmer.

My 7000is is used in a very hot desert environment. In the summer ambient temps reach 115-120F routinely and year-round temps never go below 45F. I have 5500 hours on it and have been using Castrol 30W. I am considering switching to Mobil 1 5w-30 because synthetic is supposed to be better in hot environments and "evaporate" (I don't know what the technical term is :) ) as quickly as conventional oil does. Do the experts see anything wrong with my thinking? Or, should I just stick with Castrol 30W? Oh yea, the generator is located in a gazebo-like structure with four sides open to the weather, the sun NEVER shines on the generator. Rain is not a problem, we've only received .6 inches in two years. :)

Thanks for your time.

Paul

My 7000is is used in a very hot desert environment. In the summer ambient temps reach 115-120F routinely and year-round temps never go below 45F. I have 5500 hours on it and have been using Castrol 30W. I am considering switching to Mobil 1 5w-30 because synthetic is supposed to be better in hot environments and "evaporate" (I don't know what the technical term is :) ) as quickly as conventional oil does. Do the experts see anything wrong with my thinking? Or, should I just stick with Castrol 30W? Oh yea, the generator is located in a gazebo-like structure with four sides open to the weather, the sun NEVER shines on the generator. Rain is not a problem, we've only received .6 inches in two years. :)

Thanks for your time.

Paul
If the unit uses no oil I’d stick with the same if it did I’d run a 40W oil. Makes no sense at all to be running a 5w30 at all ever.

Thanks for your time.

Paul
With 5500 hours on the generator why change now? I wouldn’t over think this. If the 30W oil has been working why the need to change? IMO I’d just keep doing what you’re doing.

Just my $0.02

Back