2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport - 1.6L TGDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all!

Looking for a recommendation for oil viscosity and brand.

Have my new 1.6L T-GDI, with 700 miles on the factory oil.

Oil cap says 5w-30. Manual says 3k oil changes, since I live in the mountains.

My current plan is as follows:

Pull the factory oil at 2k, send out for UOA - mostly for [censored] and giggles, but also to test for fuel contamination levels.
Replace the factory oil with Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic. Not sure if 5w-30 or 5w-40 at this point.
Pull the Pennzoil at 5k total miles (3k miles on the oil), send for UOA to check again for fuel contamination and to see how it held up under the owner's manual suggested 3k interval.

Depending on UOA results, determine if 3k or 5k change interval is appropriate.

Any thoughts or considerations on this plan?

I think the 2k UOA check is a waste of money, all kinds of break in debris that soon.
I would replace oil/filter at 2K and 5K and then start UOAs at 10K, and at 5k intervals if it was my car.
You didn't mention the oil filter - I would recommend the OE Hyundai filter.

I think your plan is solid. Penz Plat is a great oil and well priced (especially with current rebate). With a 3k OCI, I would stock up on it while it’s on sale/rebate, and no need to shell out the extra coin for more expensive “EP” oils.

I wouldn’t recommend any sort of extended OCI (longer than 5k) with a TGDI engine. Oil is cheap. Removing the intake manifold and cleaning the ports and valves is not.

Last edited:
Thanks.

It's a ton of fun to drive. I find it amazing that a 1.6L four-banger can pump out 200 HP and 195 ft/pound of torque.

Then Hyundai added in the 7 speed DCT, and - man - it is zippy.

But, I am an obsessive-compulsive type, and my obsession is now trying to figure out the absolute best plan to protect the engine.

So, here I am. :-D

Originally Posted By: Isophix
Thanks.

It's a ton of fun to drive. I find it amazing that a 1.6L four-banger can pump out 200 HP and 195 ft/pound of torque.

Then Hyundai added in the 7 speed DCT, and - man - it is zippy.

But, I am an obsessive-compulsive type, and my obsession is now trying to figure out the absolute best plan to protect the engine.

So, here I am. :-D

I bet its great! Im currently out west and i have the elantra with the 2.0 N/A engine as a rental and it is a peppy little car. 40mpg also.

Last edited:
Welcome! Whatever oil you choose, make sure it meets GM dexos 1 gen 2, since that tests for sufficient repression of low speed pre-ignition that can damage TGDI engines. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 does meet that spec. Hyundai is recommending 3k mile oil change intervals? If so, that is surprising.

I bet that is a great car.
My wife loves her 2014 Limited and yours has much more power.

On her new Elantra I changed oil at 1k to get all the break in filings and junk out. then after another 2K miles since we were just about to go on a long vacation trip. Then went to 5K changes

Have always used Mobil 1 5w-20 and Castrol Magnetec 5w-30 which gave a great 5K UOA

Originally Posted By: JAG
Welcome! Whatever oil you choose, make sure it meets GM dexos 1 gen 2, since that tests for sufficient repression of low speed pre-ignition that can damage TGDI engines. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 does meet that spec. Hyundai is recommending 3k mile oil change intervals? If so, that is surprising.

Yea. The owner's manual for this car is 6k standard service, 3k severe service, with pretty much everything making it severe service.

I live in the Smoky Mountains, so I go up and down a lot, plus I tend to use the "Sport" mode a great deal, too.
grin.gif

I did the 2k, 5k, 7,5k interval, then will do 3,750 interval from now on which is severe service for the 2.0. Using PUP this interval and Pennzoil Plantinum last one. Both have been great.

I doubt you will have much full dilution in the Sport mode a great deal going up and down hills. When I am in the Sport mode it is too easy do what law enforcement calls speeding.
grin.gif

Enjoy and be safe!

Oil cap says 5w-30. Manual says 3k oil changes, since I live in the mountains.

Is it looking solely for an ILSAC oil (i.e. GF-5), or are "other" 5w-30 SN options suitable? If so, a CK-4/SN E6 5w-30, like I'm using in the G37, might be a good choice, having elevated HTHS, which crossed my mind since you mentioned a 5w-40.

That Hyundai specifies a more robust 5W30 than is typically used in other 5W30 applications. Hyundai wants a 5W30 ACEA A5 used in that engine
or a 5W40. Valvoline, Pennzoil and Mobil1 make a 5W30 which meets the specs.

Use a new crush washer for each oil change. I actually test drove and looked over a Hyundai Elantra Sport a few months ago and started a thread on it.
The oil pan and drain plug looks like the car should be level or the nose of the car pointing down to enable draining all the oil during an oil change.
Keep your oil & filter receipts and mark the VIN#, date and mileage you changed the oil on the receipts. Keep in a safe place away from light, heat and high humidity as thermal receipts can fade over the years.

Same motor in my daughters KIA, do first oil & filter at 1k miles. I won't let it go past 3k miles now that I see how this motor tears up oil. Only OE filters ending in "4" and use Valvoline synthetic 5-30 unless you want to enjoy the the wonderful GDI fuel pump click at it's loudest. I've taken steps to mitigate deposits on the valves and excess oil mist from contaminating the turbocharger and intercooler.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wymi516
Same motor in my daughters KIA, do first oil & filter at 1k miles. I won't let it go past 3k miles now that I see how this motor tears up oil. Only OE filters ending in "4" and use Valvoline synthetic 5-30 unless you want to enjoy the the wonderful GDI fuel pump click at it's loudest. I've taken steps to mitigate deposits on the valves and excess oil mist from contaminating the turbocharger and intercooler.

With regard to the motor tearing up oil, do you have specific examples you could share? Is it fuel dilution, loss of additives, etc?

Additionally, I think I may have that fuel pump tick you describe. Not sure what the sound is, but there is a definite tick at idle.

Lastly, would you go deeper into the mitigation steps you're taking?

Thank you for the reply!

I'd use on of the new DEXOS 1 GEN 2 5W30 Synthetics such as Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1.

With regard to the motor tearing up oil, do you have specific examples you could share? Is it fuel dilution, loss of additives, etc?

Additionally, I think I may have that fuel pump tick you describe. Not sure what the sound is, but there is a definite tick at idle.

Lastly, would you go deeper into the mitigation steps you're taking?

Thank you for the reply!

The last change I did at 3200 miles the oil was black as tar and smelled like fuel. That puts it at done for me, no tests needed after 45 years of changing oil on vehicles. 20k miles on the car now and the last 2 changes I've used Valvoline 5-30 synthetic silver bottle and the motor is as quiet as it's ever been. I won't go in to what I've done to quell the valve deposit and intake contamination issue. I recommend you visit a few forums relating to your car and it's motor for more info on what can be done regarding that issue.

Interesting comment on the Valvoline. I own the NA version of this engine in my commuter and oil choice hasn't made a bit of difference related to the fuel pump. Like most GDI fuel pump scenarios, it's a bit noisy at start up but quiets down considerably when warmed up.

The solenoid controls the flow through the pump and various manufacturers do different things to reduce the inlet valve ticking noise but it's not something that's particularly noticeable in my estimation. The GDI fuel pump doesn't sound like a common rail diesel but it sounds different than a regular port injected engine....so I'm not sure if people have an expectation that it'll sound like a port injected engine and are reacting accordingly. I have to be outside the car to hear the difference and it's still subtle so maybe I have a hard time imagining that would be much different in the turbo'd version.

Pennzoil P/UP a great choice. I always stick to the Shell/Pennzoil family on my cars.Do yourself a favor and pick up a multi pack of the OEM oil filters. Hyundai Mobis makes them specifically designed for Hyundai and Kia cars which account for some particular quirks in these GDI engines. They are terrific and good on price as well, often can find them on Ebay or online at good prices. Congrats on the sweet ride and have fun!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back