2013 VW Jetta TDI Buyback--Buyback or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the buyback, after a lot of debating, the fact that i hit a deer in the car with moderate collision damage on the record tilted the scale towards buyback. I absolutely loved my 2015 Passat TDI and racked up 62k miles in 2 years and 3 days to the buyback date. Made out nice on the buyback money and wife rolled it into the A4.
The allure of the TDI torque is so appealing and it makes the highway miles disappear. I logged several 900 mile tanks often going two weeks btwn fill ups.
with the 11 year 162k mile warranty it is a tough decision.

I was planning on keeping my ‘09 Jetta TDI, but when I hit 100k miles all sorts of problems conviently appeared and the car left me stranded for the first time.

All the following needs replacement:

- front wheel bearing
- front strut bearings and struts
- ignition
- 1 airbag needs to be replaced due to a fault
- weird traction / stability control faults that appear randomly

I’ve done all maintenance early and with quality parts. I was planning on keeping mine, but now that I’m at 114k the car is falling apart. I suspect your friend will have a similar experience. Take the money and buy something else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Watch the Netflix Show Dirty Money- It shows your car and how VW lied and cheated emissions..and the lots full of buybacks just sitting.

That VW gave the government the finger makes me like the car more. If there was a way i could end up with it for some sweet deal, i would take it in a second.

There is a buyback lot at the Pike's Peak International Speedway south of Colorado Springs. The care are nose-to-tail, door to door for acres

Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111

There is a buyback lot at the Pike's Peak International Speedway south of Colorado Springs. The care are nose-to-tail, door to door for acres

The local VW dealer leased out a lot from the City of Oakland to hold their buybacks until they were carted off to Victorville.

Rumor has it some of these might end up in Ghana or Gambia if VW strips the DPF/SCR on them to run on high-sulfur diesel. The EPA came down hard on VW, but NHTSA is letting Honda take their sweet time removing the Takata Claymore mines in their cars.

Last edited:
I would keep it, mostly based on the fact she loves the car. I agree with BrocLuno, she will always be looking over her shoulder otherwise. VW did a HUGE favor to the car buyers/owners with their clever scheme to NOT comply with emissions during actual driving. Owners of these vehicles got a MUCH better performing and likely more reliable vehicle - whether they realize it or not. I say this based on my experience with class 8 diesel trucks, which got EGR in '03-04 (probably the worst of the 3 emissions technologies added), DPF '07-08, and SCR/DPF (urea injection - probably BEST of the 3 technologies as it is AFTER the engine technology and doesn't affect performance). I own a class 8 that has a pre-emission CAT. Wouldn't trade it for a showroom new 2018.

So easy take the money and run!

Locally they have 2015 TDI between $15k-$20k with 100 to 40k miles. The new generation Jetta and Golf SportWagen is way better car.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Easy decsion, take the buyback deal and get a new Mazda CX5 diesel.

This is exactly what I've suggested to her if she decides to go the buyback route. That, the Golf all-track, and the new RAV4. I also like the looks of the new Buick AWD wagon

What CX-5 diesel? Mazda has been promising it for a long time, so far zero availability.

another take the buyback cash

The car is not worth $24,500 on the open market. Keeping the $6k, the car is not worth 18,500.

Take the buyback. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Replacement: Alltrack if AWD needed.
My GSW - 2016 5spd stick, has a lifetime avg mpg of 38. Gas. Cost $18,500 new. TDI is not more economical to own.
Also, find a 2015 TDI wagon - they get a 11ry/162k mile emissions warranty that basically covers all of the big expensive items. Gets better mpg than the current TDI would also. Cons, IMO, no AA/apple carplay or cloth seats.

but again, TAKE THE BUYBACK! You can buy a brand new TSI 2018 for less cash. Newer. Safer. Better. Solid warranty.

just my advice

Originally Posted By: surfstar
another take the buyback cash

The car is not worth $24,500 on the open market. Keeping the $6k, the car is not worth 18,500.

Take the buyback. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

01.gif

another vote for take the buyback

Cool, if she finds a chassis she likes as well, then it gets easier. If not, it's not simple... If I had one I'd keep it as cult car and thumb my nose at the smog sniffers ...
wink.gif

Last edited:
The Golf Sportswagen seems like a great choice. And the turbocharger will ensure it pulls like crazy in the higher altitudes.

We did the Buy Back for our 2012 Golf TDI... Purchased a brand new 2016 Touareg TDI that was finally released after the settlement, and then bought back the Golf too after the detune! We'll redo the Malone tune that made the car a lot of fun to drive. My wife loved the Golf too much to let it go, not to mention the super deal we got when we repurchased it. It was an overall savings and we have the cars we like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back