A UOA with more questions than answers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Bulk oils are usually so-so.

Next time you might want to buy some Pennzoil Mineral oil (if that is what you use) and take it to your mechanic, that way you will know what's going in it.

Just tell the mechanic at the next scheduled service you will supply the engine oil.

This was a required 500 mile oil change on a re-manufactured engine, so the shop had to do it. I couldn't do it myself... but I'm not using the shop's oil anymore.

Pennzoil YB is what went into it, and an ACDelco oil filter went on it. There is a farm supply store a half mile up the road from the mechanic's shop, that had PYB on sale for $2.99 a quart. They also had Formula Shell for $1.99 a quart, but I decided to splurge. Either one would have been perfectly fine with me. Formula Shell is a quality oil for the money.

The bulk oil isn't so much the mechanic's fault, as it is the fault of the owner of the shop. I don't fault the mechanic... the bulk oil is what is provided to him to use. They also use CarQuest red (Purolator) filters. Not thrilled about that either.

The owner has no problem with using customer supplied oil and filter, then it is a flat $10 labor charge to change the oil, and to dispose of the old oil and filter.

Going forward, I will probably be using Formula Shell, and changing it myself. When I see it for $1.99 a quart, I'll be buying a few cases.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
What was the Potassium PPM ( or % )?

Looks like a 20 grade. That aint no 30 grade.
AAlso ZN ( +phos) at or below API limits of acceptability.

Potassium was at 530 PPM on that test.

Oh boy.. data starting to come together as a IM or HG leak with ~ 0.05% K in the oil.

I'm Sorry to hear, Mate.

Last edited:

...The owner has no problem with using customer supplied oil and filter, then it is a flat $10 labor charge to change the oil, and to dispose of the old oil and filter.

Going forward, I will probably be using Formula Shell, and changing it myself. When I see it for $1.99 a quart, I'll be buying a few cases.

OR, just go to the Farm Store and get some WPP Mag1. American brewed from domestic and foreign components.

What was the Potassium PPM ( or % )?

Looks like a 20 grade. That aint no 30 grade.
AAlso ZN ( +phos) at or below API limits of acceptability.

Potassium was at 530 PPM on that test.

Oh boy.. data starting to come together as a IM or HG leak with ~ 0.05% K in the oil.

I'm Sorry to hear, Mate.

No problem. It is a Jasper... that is under warranty. It is their problem, not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back