Pennzoil 10w40 - 1,200mi - 04 Mazda RX-8 Rotary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: Artem
I stocked up on a bunch of 10w40 during cleance sales just to use in this car. My oil change cost is practically chump change @ $2 a quart and only needing 4.

I think that's a good approach given that you have a bunch of it and a quick drain/fill is a 5 minute job.

Right? I mean, an oil change only drains 67% of the old oil. So the new Lube is mixing with quite a bit of the expired oil, instantly making it stink and become dark.

I'm curious, because not all of the old oil comes out at oil change time, do any of these owners do an oil change and then start the engine to circulate that oil for a minute or two, and immediately do another oil change in order to get it as clean as they can? That sounds like something I would do
smile.gif

You know, I did exactly that many times during initial start up after putting it back together. Idled to operating temp and I changed the oil twice back to back, letting it idle 5 mins in between.

Then I drove it about 100 miles and changed it again. Then again in another 100 miles. Kept having it stink really bad on the way out, so I just gave up on it and ran it 600 miles to sample a few times. Here I am @ 1,200 mile OCI. I was concerned about fuel dilution but if it isn't a problem with my driving style + lots of highway cruising @ 4,500rpm in 6th, I'm ok extending it up to a point.

I just don't think its an engine you wanna start on really clean oil after an OC and run it extended drain. It definitely needs the oil flushed frequently to get fuel and wear metals out. I'm interested in cutting the oil filter open to inspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back